Are you looking for scholarships to study in the UK for Ghanaian students? There are a number of universities, local and international organizations supporting Ghanaian students to study on scholarship in the United Kingdom. They are scholarships for undergraduate, Masters and PhD studies for Ghanaians who which to study in the UK.
On that note, we have compiled over 50 UK scholarships for Ghanaian students. No matter your level of education, there is a scholarship in the UK available for you. This page will be updated frequently to bring you the latest scholarships in UK available to Ghanian students in 2019/2020. Be sure to bookmark this page for future reference and updates.
Each year, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) opens application for Ghanaian students to apply for Masters and PhD scholarships. Following are available Commonwealth Scholarships
- Commonwealth Masters Scholarship for Developing Countries. See UK universities that have part funding agreements with the CSC.
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarship for Developing Countries. See UK universities that have part funding agreements with the CSC.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme set up by the Department for International Development (DFID) in 1986, represent a unique partnership between the United Kingdom government and UK universities and the candidates country (in this case Ghana).
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships – PhD in UK and Nigerian Universities webpage
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships for Commonwealth Developing Countries to support mid-career professionals to spend a period of time with a UK host organization working in their field for a programme of professional development.
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships, at UK Universities cover overseas tuition fees at Master’s degree-level and are open to candidates who are citizens of a developing Commonwealth country.
University of Reading Masters and PhD Scholarships
Under the prestigious Felix Scholarships scheme, one Felix Scholarships will be available to well qualified students to pursue postgraduate study (Masters) at the University, starting their programme in September 2019.
For more information, visit the University of Reading Masters and PhD Scholarships.
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office established the Chevening Scholarship programme in 1983 and is now an internationally prestigious scheme with over 41,000 alumni including Ghanaian students. Chevening awards enable Scholars to study a one-year postgraduate Master’s course in any discipline at any UK university. Applications for the 2018/2019 Chevening Awards open in August 2018.
For more details visit the Chevening Scholarships.
University of Portsmouth Masters Scholarship for Ghanaian and Nigerian Students (2.2 and above)
The scholarships will be in the form of a 20% fee reduction from any tuition fee but please note, it cannot be taken in conjunction with any other fee reduction or bursary offered by the University. The scholarship is a one-off award towards a one year Masters fees and is non-renewable and only valid for study on the courses listed in the link above.
For more information, visit the University of Portsmouth Masters Scholarship.
University of Nottingham Developing Solutions Masters Scholarship
Founded in 2001, Developing Solutions is The University of Nottingham’s flagship international scholarship programme for postgraduate masters courses. The scholarship covers 50% and 100% tuition fee.
For more information, visit the University of Nottingham Developing Solutions Masters Scholarship.
Fully-Funded Rotary Peace Fellowship for Masters and Professional Programs
Each year, Rotary selects up to 100 individuals from around the world to receive fully funded academic fellowships at one of its peace centers. These fellowships cover tuition and fees, room and board, round-trip transportation, and all internship and field-study expenses.
For more information, visit Rotary Peace Fellowship.
Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) Scholarship for Ghana and Nigeria
To achieve their objectives, the AIG will fund scholarships and Fellowships for outstanding Nigerians and Ghanaians to undertake intensive post-graduate world-class training in governance and public policy at The Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford.
For more information, visit the Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) Scholarship.
The Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships at LSE Fully-funded for Masters Students – UK
The Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships offer an exciting opportunity of funding for students who are ordinarily resident in one of Standard Bank’s African presence countries, with a preference for residents of South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and South Sudan.
For more information, visit the Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarship.
The Mo Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships Programme
The Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships form a selective programme designed to identify and prepare outstanding African leaders by providing them with critical experience at the highest levels of multilateral organizations.
For more information, visit the Mo Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships.
University of Oxford Scholarships for Undergraduate and Graduate
Oxford is home of a number of prestigious scholarship schemes.
- Over 900 fully-funded scholarships were available for new graduate students in 2019/20. The majority of scholarships do not require you to make an additional application; all applicants who apply to the University by the relevant deadline will be considered automatically. Webpage
- Reach Oxford Scholarships are offered to undergraduate students from developing countries.
- Rhodes Scholarships is a fully funded scholarship for postgraduate students to study at the University of Oxford.
- Rhodes Scholarship for West Africa is a fully funded scholarship for postgraduate students from West Africa to study at the University of Oxford.
- Eni Scholarship: St Antony’s College Oxford in partnership with the international integrated energy company Eni, offers students from African universities in Angola, Ghana & Nigeria, the opportunity of fully funded scholarships, including fees and living expenses, for Master’s degree at the University of Oxford UK.
- Jacobs Foundation Scholarship: The scholarships enable candidates to study for an MBA and 1+1 MBA at Saïd Business School, Oxford University.
University of Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD)
The university of Cambridge offer a variety of scholarships that Nigerian students can participate in.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate masters and PhD degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
- University of Cambridge offer Scholarship for MPhil Programme in Conservation Leadership to Support Students from Less Developed and Developing Countries.
- The Cambridge International Scholarship Scheme – CISS is a prestigious scheme of approximately 80 full scholarships for international students. It was founded in 2009, and is funded by the assistance from the University of Cambridge, from external funding partners, and from Departments and Colleges that have agreed to contribute to these awards.
- University of Cambridge Research Career Development Fellowships – the Fellowships provide an opportunity for talented junior investigators to develop their own research programme and become creative leaders in the field.
- The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students across the region. Each year by September, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.
- African Regional Busary at Cambridge University Judge Business School: A bursary worth up to £18,000 will be awarded to a successful African candidate. The School believes that Africa will be an increasingly important region, both economically and politically and is committed to developing the African talent pool.
Westminster International Scholarships
The University of Westminster offers generous scholarship awards aimed at fully funding a student from a developing country intending to study a full-time Masters degree at the University.
For more information, visit Westminster International Scholarships.
Loughborough University Graduate School Development Trust Africa Scholarships
Loughborough University offers full-fee scholarships for international full-time taught postgraduate students who are currently domiciled (permanently living) in Africa. The scholarship covers 100% of the course fees for your chosen postgraduate taught course for one year.
For more information, visit the Development Africa Scholarships.
GSK Scholarships for Future Health Leaders to Study in UK
These highly competitive scholarships are available to applicants intending to study on a one-year, full-time, London-based MSc programme at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Three scholarships are offered to support the training and development of the next generation of leaders in global health, and strengthen the capacity of health systems and health-related research in Africa.
For more information, visit the GSK Scholarship for Future Health Leaders.
Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarships at SOAS University of London
Three Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarships have been established for African Students (African nationals and resident in Africa), who wish to undertake a taught masters course at SOAS. Each Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarship covers tuition fees in full and provides a maintenance grant of £7,000.
For more information, visit the Allan and Nesta Ferguson Scholarships.
Loughborough University Postgraduate International Scholarships
Over 100 scholarships are available to new self-financing full-time international students who are permanently resident in a country outside the European Union (EU). Available in a range of subject areas these scholarships will be to the value of 25% of the programme tuition fee and that value will be credited to the student’s tuition fee account.
For more information, visit the Loughborough University Postgraduate International Scholarships.
Gbowee Peace Foundation Africa Scholarship for Women in Liberia, Nigeria and Ghana – University of Dundee
The candidate should be aware that this scholarship is the University’s investment in the sustained growth of an individual and the betterment of a community at large. The candidate should indicate how she will use the studying abroad experience and the postgraduate qualification to locally or globally promote holistic transformation, facilitate equal access to opportunities for all, and encourage a peaceful, reconciled and empowered population in her home country.
For more information, visit the Gbowee Peace Foundation Africa Scholarship.
Cranfield Sub-Saharan Africa Merit Scholarships for Masters Students – UK
Applicants must be graduates with a first class honours or upper second-class honours undergraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
For more information, visit the Cranfield Sub-Saharan Africa Merit Scholarship.
University of Sussex Masters Scholarship for African students in Economics
The Economics Department at the University of Sussex is offering a Masters scholarship for suitably qualified candidates from selected sub-Saharan African countries on either the Development Economics MSc or Economics MSc.
For more information, visit the University of Sussex Masters Scholarship.
Undergraduate Scholarships at University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh offers a number of undergraduate scholarships for international students that are open for Ghanaian students.
For more information, visit the University of Edinburgh Undergraduate Scholarships.
Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship
The University of Edinburgh offers a number of postgraduate scholarships for international students that are open for Ghanaian students.
For more information, visit the Postgraduate Edinburgh Global Scholarships
Mastercard Foundation Postgraduate Scholars Program at the University of Edinburgh
The Scholars Program at the University of Edinburgh will provide 60 postgraduate scholarships to students from Africa with great academic and leadership potential but few educational opportunities.
For more information, visit the Mastercard Foundation Postgraduate Scholars Program at the University of Edinburgh.
Scholarships at University of East Anglia
The university offers several scholarships for students from developing countries including Ghana. For more information, visit the University of East Anglia Scholarships.
- School of International Development Masters Scholarship: for international students towards a Masters Degree program
- University of East Anglia Undergraduate Scholarships: for undergraduate students wishing to study at UEA.
Cardiff University Undergraduate International Scholarships in UK
Cardiff University offers undergraduate international scholarships. Students must be confirmed as an Overseas Student for fee paying purposes. For more information, visit the Cardiff University Undergraduate International Scholarships.
Cardiff University Postgraduate Taught International Scholarships
The Cardiff University Postgraduate Taught International Scholarships is offered by the university to international students. These scholarships are only available to self-funded students. For more information, visit the Cardiff University Postgraduate taught international Scholarships.
Eira Davies Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship for African Women in Sciences
The Eira Francis Davies Scholarship, which shall be awarded from time to time by the Senate of Swansea University on the basis of academic merit and/or financial need and which shall contribute to tuition fees, shall be tenable for such period as determined by the Senate and shall be subject to satisfactory academic progress and to such other terms and conditions as the University shall stipulate.
For more information, visit the Eira Francis Davies Scholarship.
Desmond Tutu Scholarships for Undergraduate degree at King’s College London UK
The Desmond Tutu Scholarship is one of King’s Scholarships which will directly benefit students entering higher education.
For more information, visit the Desmond Tutu Scholarship.
UWE Bristol International Postgraduate Scholarships
The recipient of this scholarship will be required to undertake an internship working within the International Office or other departments, and will also be required to undertake an ambassadorial activity for the University throughout the duration of the course.
For more information, visit the UWE Bristol International Postgraduate Scholarship.
University College, London Scholarships
- African Graduate Scholarship for Students from Africa: The University College London has opened applications for its African Graduate Scholarship, open to African nationals currently residing in an African nation.
- IOE-ISH Centenary Masters Scholarships: Candidates should be citizens and residents of a low or lower-middle income country.
- IOE Centenary Doctoral Scholarships: Candidates should be citizens and residents of a low or lower-middle income country.
- University College London (UCL) Commonwealth Shared Scholarships: Awards are for taught Master’s programmes only, subjects must be related to the economic, social and technological development of a candidate’s country.
MBA Emerging Economies Leader for Social Change Scholarship at University of Stirling
This scholarship will be awarded to an exceptional International student who has the potential to be an ambassador for their course, to contribute to the academic community and to effect change in their home country.
For more information, visit MBA Emerging Economies Leader for Social Chnange Scholarship.
LSHTM Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is delighted to offer 10 new scholarships to study a master’s degree by distance learning.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those unable to study in the UK for financial and other reasons.
For more information, visit LSHTM Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships.
University of Essex Masters Scholarship for Select Countries (Nigeria and Ghana)
The scholarship is awarded as a partial tuition fee waiver and is available for students on postgraduate taught Masters courses (excluding MBA).
For more information, visit the University of Essex Masters Scholarship.
Durham University Hatfield Lioness Scholarship
The Hatfield Lioness Scholarship enables a female student from a developing country to benefit from undertaking postgraduate study at the University of Durham. The scholarship has been set up as part of the celebration of 30 years of women students at Hatfield College, University of Durham, and is funded by alumni, friends of the College and other sources supportive of the scholarship’s aims.
For more information, visit the Durham University Hatfield Lioness Scholarship.