The University of Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme will provide 80 undergraduate and 120 postgraduate African students with full scholarships over the next seven years.
University of Edinburgh Mastercard Foundation Scholarship
The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme supports the brightest and best African scholars with great potential but few educational opportunities. Through the generous support of the Foundation, Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program provides young people who have demonstrated academic talent with access to quality education. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a growing initiative and to date, the Program has committed over $700 million to supporting the education and leadership development of over 30,000 young people. Throughout a network of partners, the Scholars Program ensures that students whose academic talent and promise exceed their financial resources, are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to become the next generation of ethical leaders.
Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
University of Edinburgh Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Eligibility
- Applicants must have graduated no later than September 2020
- Applicants must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. Applicants currently residing outside of this region for education reasons only can still apply
- Applicants must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within their community
- Applicants are able to present economic circumstances which show they lack financial means to pursue higher education in their home country or elsewhere
- Applicants must want to study one of the eligible degree programmes at the University of Edinburgh
- Applicants must qualify academically for admission to the degree programme of their choice
- Applicants should not have completed a postgraduate degree previously and should not be enrolled at a separate university while on scholarship
The scholarship is not available to students already on programme.
The scholarship may be terminated at any time when an unsatisfactory progress report is received from the School or if the scholarship holder ceases to be registered as a full-time student at the University of Edinburgh.
Eligible Field of Study: Scholarships are available for the following postgraduate programs:
- MSc Africa and International Development
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Global Health Policy
- LLM Human Rights
- MA Design for Change
- MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
- MSc Carbon Finance
- MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit. Applicants financial, personal, and family circumstances will also be taken into account.
- Applicants must also be committed to returning to Africa following their graduation to give back to their home community and country.
Number of Awardees:
- 10 scholarships are available in 2019/2020 for Masters programmes
Worth of Scholarship
The scholarship will provide full scholarships, including accommodation costs, living costs, travel and tuition fees to students taking courses on campus at Edinburgh. 60 Scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will also benefit from participating in a number of online distance learning Masters programmes offered by the University of Edinburgh.
Postgraduate masters Scholars will:
- Complete six courses followed by the production of a dissertation;
- Participate in a retreat designed to nurture leadership skills;
- Attend a short Summer School; and
- Undertake an internship which will include reflective learning.
Online distance Masters Scholars will:
- Undertake a range of online distance Masters degrees which will be available to 60 Scholars from Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions (Applications for 2020 entry will open in early 2020).
How to Apply for University of Edinburgh Mastercard Foundation Scholarship
All applicants must apply for the scholarship first through our online application form and, if successful, will be assisted in the process of applying for admission to the University.
For more information, visit the University of Edinburgh Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
Application Deadline: 30th October 2020 at 2pm UK time.