Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified students from Sub-Saharan Africa for the 2019/2020 LSHTM PACF Masters Scholarships to study in UK.
Two highly competitive PACF Scholarships are available to applicants from sub-Saharan Africa intending to study at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine on a one-year, full-time, London-based 2019-20 qualifying MSc programme.
LSHTM PACF Masters Scholarships
The Positive Action for Children Fund Scholarship Programme combines completion of a health/development-focused qualifying MSc programme with practical industry experience to equip students with the knowledge and skills to be effective advocates and catalysts of change in their home country, with a particular focus on championing the role of community interventions in contributing to the HIV and global health response.
The programme’s objectives are to:
- build knowledge, understanding and skills in global health theory;
- apply this learning within the development industry context through practical experience;
- develop strategies to address in-country health gaps and accelerate country-level responses, with a particular focus on community-led interventions; and
- grow in-country advocates and catalysts for positive change in HIV/AIDS programming.
LSHTM PACF Masters Scholarships Eligibility
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must
- be nationals of, and resident in, countries in sub-Saharan Africa; and
- intend to return to sub-Saharan Africa on completion of their MSc year at the School; and
- have 2 years experience working in any function (board, staff, volunteer etc.) within a grassroots community based organisation with a focus on HIV/AIDS and/or public health intervention. The selection committee consider a grassroots community organisation to be a non-profit group that work with local communities in delivering HIV/AIDS and/or public health interventions. Applications are encouraged from volunteers, youth group leaders, peer-support group leaders who are delivering locally based interventions.
- confirm (by submitting an application for this scholarship) that s/he would not otherwise be able to pay for their proposed programme of study, and
- agree to undertaking a 3 month placement with PACF, in their London office, during the summer (whilst simultaneously undertaking their MSc project); and
- meet the School’s minimum English language requirements, as required for admission to study, if short-listed; and
- hold an offer of admission for 2019–20 for one of the following London-based MSc programmes of study:
- MSc Control of Infectious Diseases
- MSc Epidemiology
- MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing
- MSc Public Health
- MSc Reproductive & Sexual Health
- MSc Public Health for Development
LSHTM PACF Masters Scholarships Selection Criteria
Applicants should ensure they demonstrate outstanding experience and qualifications in their study and scholarship applications, as appropriate. Preference will be given to those candidates who show how their skills and knowledge might be applied to community HIV/AIDS interventions, and who explain how they will be effective catalysts of change in their communities, particularly with regard to community HIV/AIDS interventions, once they have completed their MSc programme of study.
Value of Scholarship
Each scholarship will cover:
- tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 16,950.00, and
- GBP 2,000.00 towards MSc project costs, and
- a training support grant for the practical learning element of the award.
It is a condition of this funding that PACF Scholars must undertake a three-month practical element at PACF’s London office, during the period they conduct their MSc project. The purpose of this is to provide students with training, learning, and practical experience, and an opportunity to complete their MSc project, whilst undertaking their placement at PACF.
How to Apply for LSHTM PACF Masters Scholarships
Applicants should complete both steps below by the scholarship deadline.
Step 1: Submit an application for an eligible 2019-20 London-based MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page, ensuring that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via the Admissions portal as soon as possible to ensure that an offer of admission is held by the scholarship deadline.
Step 2: Submit an online scholarships application, selecting the option ‘2019-20 PACF MSc Scholarships’. A completed 2019-20 PACF Supplementary Questions Form must be uploaded as part of the Scholarship application. (This is the only document which should be uploaded on the Scholarships online application.)
If you have any queries about the application process, scholarship requirements or application deadline, please contact our Scholarships team: [email protected]
If you encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online scholarships application form, in the first instance please try clearing your browser cache and ensure that you are using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. If this does not fix your technical issue, please contact the School’s IT Services team, providing your full name; the scholarship that you are applying for; and the technical issue that you have encountered. Please also attach a screen shot where possible. [email protected].
Application Deadline: 27th February 2019 midnight (GMT).
For more information, visit the LSHTM PACF Masters Scholarships.