Germany is a Western European country with a landscape of forests, rivers, mountain ranges, and the North Sea beaches. It has over 2 millennia of history. Berlin, its capital, is home to art and nightlife scenes, the Brandenburg Gate and many sites relating to WWII. Munich is known for its Oktoberfest and beer halls, including the 16th-century Hofbräuhaus. Frankfurt, with its skyscrapers, houses the European Central Bank.
Every year, many people travel to Germany for different reasons either for tourist, work, study, or visit. Depending on the purpose of our travel to Germany, there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
- 1 General Documents for a German Visa Application
- 2 Additional Documents Required for the Most Frequent Purposes of the German Visa Application
- 2.1 German Tourist Schengen Visa Requirements
- 2.2 German Business Visa Requirements
- 2.3 German Schengen Medical Visa
- 2.4 German Schengen Visa for Culture, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
- 2.5 German Schengen Visa for Members of Official Delegations
- 2.6 German Schengen Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes
- 2.7 German Schengen Visa For The Wife/Husband of a German citizen
- 2.8 German Airport Transit Visa
- 2.9 German Schengen Visa for Underage Children:
General Documents for a German Visa Application
- Download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel health insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Germany and the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of a visit to Germany and itinerary
- Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Germany
- Hotel Booking for the whole duration of the intended stay in Germany.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay. According to the European Commission information, a foreign applicant applying for a German Visa, must be able to attest possessing 45€/day to the German Embassy or Consulate for the period of stay in German territory.
If you are employed, the following documents will be required;
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave approval letter from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
If you are self-employed or running a business, you will need to provide the following documents;
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
If you are a student applying for the Germany study visa, you will need to provide the following documents;
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
If you are a retiree, you will need to provide the following documents;
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your German Visa application.
Additional Documents Required for the Most Frequent Purposes of the German Visa Application
German Tourist Schengen Visa Requirements
This visa is meant for those looking to visit Germany for less than 90 days for leisure or tourism purposes. According to Germany visa requirements, the following documents are required to be submitted especially for a tourist visa application to the embassy:
- Invitation letter with the address and phone number from family member or sponsor – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
German Business Visa Requirements
This visa is for those who are planning to visit Germany for temporary work-related purposes. However, do keep in mind that this does not grant the applicant to take up new employment in Geramny or any other Schengen country. The documents required for applying for a business visa are:
- Invitation letter from the German company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
German Schengen Medical Visa
A lot of people travel to Germany and certain other countries to seek better medical treatment or specialized treatment for a disease that cannot be treated in their own country. For this purpose, the Germany visa requirements are the following:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Germany, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
German Schengen Visa for Culture, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
This is a special visa given to applicants who want to travel to Germany to participate in cultural or sporting events. In addition to that, this visa also grants permission to a film crew to shoot a film in Germany. Documents required to be submitted to fulfill Germany visa requirements for this category are:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit, expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
German Schengen Visa for Members of Official Delegations
If the purpose of your travel is to attend intergovernmental meetings, consultations, negotiations or events, this is the visa you will need. The following documents will have to be shown to the embassy in order to be eligible for this visa:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of the journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
German Schengen Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes
This category of visas is required only for applicants who intend to study in a German institution, conduct research or even undergo some kind of educational training and internship for less than 6 months. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Proof of financial funds
German Schengen Visa For The Wife/Husband of a German citizen
This visa is for people whose spouses are from Germany. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Proof of German citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of German nationality or naturalization order)
- German marriage certificate
- German family record book
German Airport Transit Visa
As per Germany visa requirements, a transit visa is required if you foresee a layover of a few hours in Germany before heading to your destination. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
German Schengen Visa for Underage Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the German embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Please consult with the German Embassy in your country for the updated German Visa requirements!