How to Apply for Germany Student Visa From Ghana … This is a complete guide on how to apply for a German student visa for Ghanian – application, guideline, and requirements.
Germany is the birthplace of the “research universities” – big buildings with libraries and laboratories, where knowledge is produced and expanded on every day. There is a wide range of disciplines in German universities, fields like Medicine, Engineering, Computer Sciences, Business, and Management are the most sought-after disciplines for international students.
As an International student from Ghana, you will need to apply for a German student visa if you wish to school in any German University.
- 1 How to Apply for Germany Student Visa From Ghana
- 2 Duration of German Student Visa
- 3 Cost of Germany Study Visa
- 4 How to Renew Student Visa in Germany
- 5 Required Documents for German Student Visa Application
- 6 How to Apply For German Student Visa From Ghana
- 7 Germany Student Visa Application Time
How to Apply for Germany Student Visa From Ghana
The following is a simplified process which would help you to successfully secure the travel document to Germany:
German Student Visa Type D / Residence Permit
Students from Ghana will need to apply for the Type D / Residence Permit to study in Germany. This visa category is specifically for international students who are enrolled in a German university.
However, there are three types of study visa for Germany and are based solely on your study purpose.
- Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning) – This visa category is for persons intending to attend a language course for more than three months without planning to study in Germany afterward.
- Student Applicant Visa – This visa category is for persons who want to study in Germany, but are still trying to find the right program or you still haven’t got the confirmation letter from your University
- Student Visa – This visa category is for persons who have already applied at a university and have received a letter of admission to the university or confirmation that their letter is being processed.
IMPORTANTLY: A Language Course Visa cannot be converted into a Student Visa in Germany.
Therefore, if you intend to study at a German university immediately after your language course, you are requested to apply for a Student Visa right away. Otherwise, you will have to return to Ghana after your language course has ended.
Follow the process below to get the full application guidelines and requirements for German Type D student visa below.
Duration of German Student Visa
The student visa duration depends on the program you choose.
So that you can stay during your entire degree programme, you may need to renew your visa every year. If you want to stay in Germany after your degree is over, you will have to apply for a different visa or a visa renewal through the immigration office.
Cost of Germany Study Visa
The cost of the German Student visa is 75.00 Euro (only payable in Ghanaian Cedis at the exchange rate set by the German Embassy’s accountants department). The processing fee is not refundable in case of denial of the visa. The price is always the same no matter the duration of your studies.
How to Renew Student Visa in Germany
You can renew your Student Visa as many times as you want, as long as you are enrolled in a German University. However, you will need to show evidence of your eligibility and must apply from inside the German territory before your visa expires. If you want to stay in Germany after your degree is over, you will have to apply for a different visa or a visa renewal through the immigration office.
Required Documents for German Student Visa Application
Every applicant is asked to provide the following mandatory documents (original + 2 copies of each document, unless otherwise specified):
- 2 completely signed and filled-in visa application forms (application for a national visa).
- 2 signed declarations according to Sec. 54 Par. 2 No. 8 of the German Residence Act.
- 2 recent passport pictures with white background (please do not attach to forms).
- A valid passport and 2 copies of the passport’s pages showing the particulars of the applicant (data page).
- Visa fee of 75.00 Euro, only payable in cash in Ghana Cedi
- Original birth certificate of the applicant based on the first registration plus 2 copies.
- Original marriage certificate and original birth certificates of children plus 2 copies.
- Proof of acceptance for enrolment into a German university, preparatory or language course.
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language (Goethe-Institute certificate), unless course is taught in English. Should the course be taught in English, basic knowledge of German is however highly recommended.
- Original school leaving certificates (WAEC-certificates: BECE, WASSCE) plus 2 copies
- Documents showing academic career and academic standing.
- Original of university degrees earned (e.g. Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree) and official transcripts, if applicable
- Proof of previous and current employment, internships, practical attachments, national service (CV and documentation).
- Curriculum Vitae and a handwritten letter of motivation, signed by the applicant
- Reasons for studying in Germany and for choice of university, study plans and plans for the future (preferably in writing) signed by the applicant.
- Proof of adequate financial means to cover the university fees, housing, the cost of living and other expenses, currently 720.00 Euro for every month of the first academic year.
- Sponsor’s passport, information/proof on relation to sponsor, motivation of sponsorship.
The applicant needs to prove (at the time of application) having at least a monthly allowance of 720.00 Euro, for the first academic year of the studies.
For Sponsorship by a person? living in Ghana/Liberia/Sierra Leone. In this case, a letter of sponsorship is required, confirming that the sponsor is willing to support the student with 720.00 Euro per month for the duration of the studies.
All sponsors residing in Ghana/Liberia/Sierra Leone are kindly requested to accompany the applicant to the interview at the visa section. The sponsor must present valid identification (passport), letter of motivation of sponsorship and proof of financial viability (current original bank statement covering the last 3 months, payslips, company registration documents, etc.).
If the German Embassy, after assessing your visa application, intends to issue the visa, you will be contacted by the Embassy and asked to open a blocked bank account in Germany with an amount of 8,640 Euros for the first year of your studies.
How to Apply For German Student Visa From Ghana
- Apply for admission into a German University or Langauge School. Proceed to the next step when you have been granted admission.
- Visit the German Embassy website to obtain the student visa application form for free.
- Open a restricted bank account with Ecobank (The German Embassy and Ecobank will provide more information on this once you have filled your application).
- Fund the account with the minimum amount of 720 Euro.
- Book Appointment for Visa Application/Interview: https://accra.diplo.de/gh-en/service/appointment/1345892
Germany Student Visa Application Time
All student visa applications are forwarded to the competent German aliens authority by post for approval
The entire procedure will take a minimum of 8 weeks. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications well in advance of the enrolment deadline.
Visa Application time for scholarship holders (from DAAD, German universities or other German or European official funds) is 4 working days.