Canada remains a top study destination for international masters students due to its quality and affordable education. Studying for a masters degree in Canada is much more affordable than in many countries of the world.
The low and affordable tuition fee for graduate programs is one of the reasons why many choose Canada for a masters program. Additionally, international students can easily integrate into a French or English speaking territory.
Furthermore, Canada has one of the highest living standards in the world. This in addition to its quality education makes Canada a preferred study destination for many international masters students.
In this article, you’ll learn about the cheapest universities in Canada for masters degree. So if you’ve been looking for where to get an affordable masters degree in Canada, you’ll get all the information on this page.
- 1 Why Study in Canada
- 2 Cheapest Universities in Canada for Masters Degree
- 2.1 1. Memorial University
- 2.2 2. Simon Fraser University
- 2.3 3. University of Manitoba
- 2.4 4. University of Saskatchewan
- 2.5 5. University of Prince Edward Island
- 2.6 6. McGill University
- 2.7 7. Dominican University College
- 2.8 8. University of New Brunswick
- 2.9 9. University of Alberta
- 2.10 10. Dalhousie University
- 3 Conclusion
Why Study in Canada
You might ask why do I need to study in Canada. Below is just a few reasons why so many international masters students choose Canada as a preferred study destination.
1. Affordable Education
Canada is known to offer affordable and quality education to both domestic and international students. Obtaining a masters degree in Canadian University is much cheaper compared to other English speaking countries like the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.
The Canadian education system has a reputation for being one of the best in the world. Also, Canadian universities are also among the top-ranked universities in the world.
3. Ease of Living
For French and English speakers, it’s very easy for international students to get along in Canada. Additionally, the standard of living in Canada is high, so it’s very easy to integrate smoothly among the locals.
Cheapest Universities in Canada for Masters Degree
Tuition fee in Canadian universities for masters program for international students varies considerably based on the program. Research-based graduate programs are more expensive than the non-research program.
Also, international students enrolling in an MBA program are also expected to pay way more than other graduate programs in some universities.
The Memorial University of Newfoundland is one of the universities with the cheapest graduate tuition in Canada. This is a great place for international students who are in need of quality and affordable education in Canada.
The University offers funding package for international graduate students in research-intensive programs. Furthermore, tuition fees at Memorial University are charged on a semester-by-semester basis and reflect the cost of the graduate program not the number of required courses.
Graduate programs have three semesters per academic year: Fall (September – December), Winter (January – April), and Spring (May-August).
Memorial University Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Master’s programs (2 years) – $9,666
- Master’s programs (1 year) – $6,654
- Master of Science in Medicine – $12,000
Simon Fraser University is one of the cheapest universities for international students to enrol for a masters program. In most programs at Simon Fraser University, international students pay the same fees as domestic students for graduate programs.
The minimum fee for a master’s term fee program is six terms of tuition. Most masters program at the university is divided into regular and specialty programs. While regular program fees are per term, specialty programs are paid per course unit.
Simon Fraser University Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Regular Masters Programs – $5,538 per year
The University of Manitoba is one of the cheapest universities for a masters program in Canada. Most graduate programs are considerably cheap and affordable for international students who wish to study in Canada.
Graduate tuition fees for each term are determined by the program, courses and status of students (international or domestic).
Most graduate programs at the University of Manitoba have a flat tuition rate for each term, though, for some programs, tuition is assessed on a per-credit-hour basis.
University of Manitoba Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Masters of Architecture, City Planning, Fine Arts, Interior Design, Natural Resources Management, Nursing and School Psychology – $5,874.90
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA) – $559.36 per credit hour
- Master of Finance – $17,029
- Master of Human Right – $6,847
- Masters of Occupational Therapy – $6,401
- Masters of Public Administration – $489.52 per credit hour
- MSc in Genetic Counselling – $11,466
- Other Masters Program – $5,874
The University of Saskatchewan is one of the most affordable universities in Canada for a masters program. Tuition fees for international graduate students depend solely on the program of study.
Most project or thesis-based programs have per term cost. Course-based programs are assessed tuition for each class you take. Some programs have a flat tuition amount either for the entire program or per term.
University of Saskatchewan Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Thesis and project-based master’s program – $6,730 per year
- Course-based master’s program
- Cost per 3 credit unit graduate class – $1,087
- Cost per graduate credit unit – $362
- Maintenance of Status course – $1,087
5. University of Prince Edward Island
The University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) is one of the cheapest universities in Canada for a masters program. Fees are paid yearly by international students. However, the fees vary considerably based on the program and the status of the program.
University of Prince Edward Island Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Full-Time International Fee (Graduate) – $7,320 per year
- Masters of Nursing – $8,430 per 2-year program
- Master of Arts in Island Studies – $15,300 per 2-year program
- Master of Education Tuition – $9,570 per program
- Masters of Applied Health Services Research – $13,116 per 2-year program
- Master of Science – $8,430 per 2-year program
- Master of Veterinary Science – $8,430 per 2-year program
McGill University is one of the top and cheapest universities in Canada for a master program. Although fees have risen by 3.1%, it is still within an affordable range to many international students.
The University has a flat tuition fee of $8,980 for full-time masters program for international students. However, the total fees vary depending on the choice of program (fall or winter).
McGill University Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Master’s Thesis Full-Time (Fall) – $11,059
- Master’s Thesis Full-Time (Winter) – $9,679
- Non-Thesis Masters (Fall) – $14,328
- Non-Thesis Master’s (Winter) – $12,949
Dominican University College is one of the most affordable universities in Canada for a masters program. The University runs three semesters in a calendar year for graduate students.
Dominican University College Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Full-time Graduate – $6 560 per semester (spring, fall and winter).
The University of New Brunswick is among the cheapest universities in Canada for a graduate program. If you’re looking for affordable universities for a masters program, you should consider this school.
Tuition fees for international graduate students are paid based on per semester basis. Masters cases are also divided into course-based and research-based.
University of New Brunswick Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Course-Based (except MBA) Full Time Student – $6,177 per year
- Research-Based Full-Time Student – $8,542 per year
The University of Alberta is one of the Cheapest Universities in Canada that offers masters degree programs both for Canadian citizens and international students. So, if you are looking for a university to pursue your master’s degree in Canada, The University of Alberta should be in your options list.
Just like other Canadian universities, graduate programs are divided into thesis-based and course-based. Most project or thesis-based programs have per term cost. Course-based programs are assessed tuition for each class you take. Some programs have a flat tuition amount either for the entire program or per term.
University of Alberta Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
- Standard Course-Based Master’s Programs – $1,864.30 per *3 course unit
- Standard Thesis-Based Master’s Programs – $8,700 per year
Dalhousie University is one of Canada’s oldest universities, attracting more than 19,000 students from around the world. However, this university is one of the Cheapest Universities in Canada for Masters degree students who want to pursue their academic career.
Fees for a masters degree at the university are charged per term or per 3-course unit basis.
Dalhousie University Masters Degree Tuition Fee for International Students
Fees for the university varies considerably based on the program of study. However, tuition fees range between $9,906 – $29,385
I believe you’ve learnt about the cheapest universities in Canada for masters degree for international students. All the amount quoted on this page is in Canadian Dollars. Furthermore, universities can change their fees at any time without prior knowledge.
Additionally, fees quoted on this page is not the sum total of what you’re expected to pay to study at these institutions. There are other fees which you’re expected to cover before you’re admitted for a masters degree program in Canada.