How to Apply for South Africa Student Visa From Ghana… This is a complete guide on how to apply for a student visa to study in South Africa for Ghanaians – Student visa application fee, visa processing time, student visa application guideline, and requirements.
Every intending students who wish to study in South Africa should endeavor to go through the information on this page.
South Africa has the largest and strongest education system in Africa and is the most popular place to study in Africa. Students around the world enroll in South Africa’s university where they study different programs. No wonder, the country is ranked number 11 most preferred study destination for international students to pursue their education.
South Africa is often referred to as the Rainbow nation for the dozens of African ethnic groups and their cultures who live within the country. This ethnic diversity provides a unique and progressive educational environment for students to learn.
Types of South Africa Visas
Before we talk about how to apply for South Africa student visa from Ghana, lets briefly talk about types of South Africa visa. Basically, there are 3 types of Visa anyone can apply for to get into South Africa.
1. Visitors Visa
This visa category is for people who just want to pay a visit or spend sometimes for vacation in South Africa. South Africa visitor’s visa is primarily for visiting families or vacations for a short period of time. The visitor visa is valid for up to 90 days.
2. Long Stay Visitor Visa
The long stay visitor visa is valid for a period between 3 months and 3 years. This visa category is best suited for foreign nationals who want to stay in South Africa.
3. Business Visa
South Africa business visa is strictly for person(s) who are traveling solely for business purpose alone. The duration of the business visa depends on the applicant’s motivation. On the whole, a business visa can be valid for a period of 3 to 5 years.
How to Apply for South Africa Student Visa From Ghana
The following is a simplified process which would help you to successfully secure the travel document to South Africa:
South Africa Student Visa
International students from Ghana will need South Africa student visa to study in South Africa. This visa category is specifically for international students who are enrolled in a South Africa approved institution.
Duration of South Africa Student Visa
The student visa duration depends on the program and the duration of the course you choose. Alternatively, the study permit can be valid for 36 months for school and 24 months for other institutions. If you want to stay in South Africa after your degree is over, you will have to apply for a residence permit through the immigration office.
As a holder of a study permit you may also apply for permission to work for the purposes of getting work experience, as part of your studies to obtain a diploma or degree by submitting:
- an offer to do practical training
- consent from the educational institution
- proof that you are still a registered student
The Department’s consent to get practical training as part of your studies is issued free of charge provided that you are a registered student and that your study permit remains valid for the entire duration of the training period.
Alternatively, as a foreigner studying at a higher educational institution with a valid study permit, you may work part-time for no more than 20 hours per week. However, you may not work during academic vacations.
Cost of Study Visa for South Africa
The cost of the South Africa Student visa for Ghanaian is GHC 136. The price is always the same no matter the duration of your studies.
Visa applicant can pay their prescribed application fee in cash at any Stanbic Bank branch nationwide.
How to Renew Student Visa in South Africa
You can renew your Student Visa as many times as you want, as long as you are enrolled at South Africa University. If you have to leave the country before the expiration of your study permit, you will need to apply for re-entry visa provided your permit doesn’t expire while you are out of the republic.
Required Documents for South Africa Student Visa Application
Here is a list of required documents you will need if you are applying for a South Africa study permit from Ghana.
1. Original Passport (valid for no less than 30 days after intended stay the Republic)
2. Six passport size photos (35 mm x 45 mm)
3. Duly completed application form signed by the Applicant (Download Form).
4. Admission Letter from SA School.
5. Copies of previous school certificates (Original plus certified copies).
6. Proof of Financial Status (original copies of bank statement at least three month from application date).
7. Proof of Visa fee payment.
8. Health Documents: A medical certificate, yellow fever vaccination, and a radiological report (x-ray chest).
9. Police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant, which certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission.
10. Proof of accommodation in SA
11. All application must be submitted in person.
How to Apply for South Africa Student Visa From Ghana
- Apply for admission into South Africa University. Proceed to the next step when you have been granted admission.
- Visit the visa application center in Ghana to obtain your visa application form or Download Here. Fill same and submit at the embassy.
- Pay your visa application fee and services fee at Stanbic Bank branch or at the bank teller counter at the Visa Application Centre. Please ensure fees are paid into their respective accounts. The fees will not be reimbursed in case the application is withdrawn or refused.
- Schedule a visa appointment (place your appointment at least eight weeks before your intended travel date).
- Track your Application at any time through our website or call centre to know the status of your application.
South Africa Student Visa Application Time
Please note that once your application has been submitted, it is already in the possession of your South African High Commission and cannot be withdrawn. Therefore, applicants are advised to plan their travel and accordingly.
APPEAL: Applicant who wants to appeal would need to complete an appeal form and accompany it with all documents submitted in the earlier application.
If you have any question about how to apply for South Africa Student Visa or Study Permit from Ghana. Please use the comment section below.
We also encourage you to share this post with your friends using our social media platform below.