If you are traveling to the United Kingdom for education, tourism, visit, business or to live and work, and you don’t have a reliable information on how to get a UK visa? We have put together a detailed and accurate guide to the UK visa application in Ghana.
Before you start your UK visa application process, you need to familiarise yourself with the necessary requirements as well as the type of visa that applies to you.
Depending on the purpose of your travel to the United Kingdom, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in the UK permanently, you will have to apply for a different UK Visa, accordingly.
What is UK Visa
The United Kingdom visa is a formal endorsement on a passport of a foreigner by the UK government that allows the passport holder to enter and leave the United Kingdom freely. The visa contains some vital information about the passport holder like duration of stay, purpose of visit and other details. The UK visa is valid for a period of time and they are of different types depending on the purpose of your visit.
Types of UK Visa
Ghanaian passport holders must familirise themselves with the different types of UK visa. Basically, we will be looking at the short and long stay visa.
The Short Stay Visa
The UK short stay visa allows you to stay in the United Kingdom only for a short period of time. The UK visitor’s or tourist visa fall under this category. Other form of short stay visa include;
- Short-term study visa
- Marriage visitor visa
- Standard visitor visa (needed for a tourist)
- Permitted paid engagement visa
- Parent of a Tier-4 child visa.
The Short Stay Visa
The UK long stay visa allows you to stay in the United Kingdom only for a longer period of time. The following visas fall under this category.
- Diplomatic visas for government officials on formal assignments.
- Student visas (lasts for a period up to 3 years) for individuals that intend to study in the UK.
Student visas are of 3 types:
- Students that intend studying for less than 6 months in the UK get a short-term study visa.
- Students aged more than sixteen years that intend studying in the United Kingdom get a tier 4 (General) student visa.
- Students aged between four & seventeen years that intend studying in independent schools in the UK get a tier 4 (Child) student visa.
SEE ALSO: How to Apply for UK Student Visa in Ghana.
UK Visa Requirements for Ghanaians
This is the general UK visa requirements; as a Ghanaian you need the following documents to get a UK visa.
- A valid international passport with a blank page on both sides.
- A duly completed UK visa application form (this is filled online).
- One passport photograph.
- UK visa fee.
- An invitation letter if you are being sponsored by a friend or family member.
- Financial proof (original bank statement that is not older than 3 months).
- Confirmation of accommodation and flight bookings.
- Original copy of marriage certificate if you are traveling with your spouse.
- Original copy of birth certificates for your childeren if your travelling together.
- Recent utility bills.
People travelling for business, conference or official duties are to attach these documents to their visa application:
- A letter of invitation/confirmation of training/confirmation of conference.
- Phone numbers of your company
- Physical address
- Full details of an authorized company representative.
How to Apply for UK Visa in Ghana [Step-By-Step Guide]
Ghanaians who want to apply for UK visa should see the full application guide below.
- First, regsiter an account with the GOV.UK website. You will also need to check if you need a visa for your trip on the website (UK Visa Eligibility).
- Fill the online application form for study and work visas or here for any other type of visa.
- Pay the visa fees, and book an appointment at the visa application center in Accra within 90 days of submitting the online form. You will be notified via email confirming your appointment and what documents you will need to take along.To avoid any delays in the application process you should bring along the following:
- Your original passport
- Printed copies of your online application form and appointment confirmation
- Receipt of payment of visa fees
- All the required documents as stated above
- Supporting documents
Important: Once you have submitted your biometrics, your visa fee will no longer be refundable. You must also ensure you are not late for your appointment. If you are late, your application process may be delayed as you will have to rebook your appointment.
Cost of UK Visa in Ghana
The UK visa application fee depends on the kind of visa and the length of its validity (UK Visa Application Fee). You can only pay for UK visa at Guaranty Trust Bank’s three branches namely:
- Ridge, Head Office 25A, Castle Road, Ambassadorial Area, Ridge, PMB CT416
- Cantonments. Accra. Labone 3rd Soula Street, adjacent to South African High Commission
- Osu Plot No. 577, Oxford Street, Osu R. E
Keep the receipt safe as it will be required when you visit the application centre. Send your application within 30 days or one month of paying the fees. Application fee can also be paid at the application centre, however, with an additional processing fee.
UK Visa Processing Time in Ghana
The processing of your visa application could last for 4 – 6 days, or longer for an applicant with a history of crime or rejection. A premium service is also available for you to get your application processed the same day for a fee.
UK Visa Rejection
The major reasons for UK visa rejection are;
- Submitting false documents.
- Not having valid passport or travel documents.
- Not having enough funds.
- Applicant has received a deportation order.
- Withholding documentation of a criminal background
- Applicant has a criminal history with four or more years jail time.
- Overstaying a previous visit to the United Kingdom.
- Not providing a genuine reason for wanting to visit the UK.
- Non-compliance with all the application requirements.
- Submitting fraudulent documents on a previous trip to the United Kingdom.
UK Visa Application Centre in Ghana
off Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue
P.O. Box 296 Accra