Denmark is one of the largest Scandinavian countries in Europe and is also a member of the Schengen region. Denmark visa application requirements are such that they comply with the Schengen visa requirements as well.
There are several requirements you need to fulfill in order to get a Denmark visa, but first and most basic requirement is that your point of entry into the Schengen area is through Denmark or you are at least planning to spend the most number of days in the country. In the following sections of this article, we will discuss Denmark visa requirements and how you can easily apply for one.
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Denmark, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Denmark permanently, you will have to apply for a different Schengen Visa, accordingly.
- 1 Required Documents for Denmark Visa Application
- 2 Additional Documents Required for the most frequent purposes of Denmark Visa Application
- 2.1 Danish Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- 2.2 Denmark Business Visa:
- 2.3 Denmark Visa for Medical Treatment:
- 2.4 Denmark Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- 2.5 Denmark Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- 2.6 Denmark Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other types of Internship Purposes:
- 2.7 Denmark Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Danish citizen:
- 2.8 Danish Airport Transit Visa:
- 2.9 Denmark Visa for Under-Age Children:
- 3 Can I extend my Denmark short-stay visa?
Required Documents for Denmark Visa Application
- Download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Denmark Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Attach 2 photos; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport with validity of at least 3 months beyond return date. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel health insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Denmark and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Denmark and itinerary (Click to find cover letter samples!)
- Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Denmark
- Hotel Reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Denmark.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Evidence of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Hungary.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment in a Danish Institution.
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Danish Visa application.
Additional Documents Required for the most frequent purposes of Denmark Visa Application
Danish Tourist/Visitor Visa:
This is the most popular Danish visa, and it is meant for those travellers looking to visit Denmark for less than 90 days. According to Denmark visa requirements, the following documents are required to be submitted especially for a tourist visa application to the embassy:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Denmark with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Denmark Business Visa:
A business visa is given to those who are planning to visit Denmark for engaging in temporary work or business. However, this visa definitely does not grant the applicant to take up new employment in Denmark. The documents required for applying for a business visa are:
- Invitation letter from the Danish company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Denmark Visa for Medical Treatment:
A lot of people travel to Denmark and certain other countries to seek better medical treatment or specialized treatment for a disease that cannot be treated in their own country. For this purpose, the Denmark visa requirements are the following:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Denmark, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Denmark Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
This is a special visa given to applicants who want to travel to Denmark to participate in cultural or sporting events. In addition to that, film crew can also apply for a visa to get permission to shoot a film in Denmark. Documents required to be submitted to fulfill Denmark visa requirements for this category are:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Denmark Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
If your travel is related to attending intergovernmental meetings, consultations, negotiations or events, you will need to apply for a special official visit visa. The following documents will have to be shown to the embassy in order to be eligible for this visa:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Denmark Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other types of Internship Purposes:
Only applicants who are intending to study in a Danish institution, conduct research or even undergo some kind of educational training and internship for less than 6 months, are eligible for a student visa. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Denmark Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Danish citizen:
This visa is for people whose spouses are from Denmark. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Proof of Danish citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Danish nationality or naturalization order)
- Danish marriage certificate
- Danish family record book
Danish Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other types of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Denmark Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Danish embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Can I extend my Denmark short-stay visa?
A Denmark short-stay visa may be extended if new facts have arisen since the visa was issued. Applications to extend a visa must be duly substantiated by force majeure, humanitarian grounds or serious occupational or personal reasons. A visa extension may not result in the duration of the stay exceeding 90 days.
Denmark Schengen visa fees
If you are applying with VFS, then there is a processing fee of €20 that you will need to pay with VFS.
- Schengen Short Stay Visa (tourist visa, business visa and transit visa) €60
- Children aged =6<12 applying for short stay visa €35
- Student Visa €50
- Long Stay Visa (work visa and permanent residence) €99
Note: Please consult the Embassy of Denmark in your country for the updated Denmark Visa requirements!