Have you been aspiring to become an on-air personality (OAP), then you will definitely get the right information on this page. Those voices you hear on the radio every time you tuned to a radio show are called OAPs.
Most people have the dream of being a radio presenter, and some don’t know how to go about it. In fact, if you have ever been told that you have a radio voice, then this article is for you.
In this guide, I will be talking about the relevant steps that you need to take in order to become an on-air-personality (OAP) in Ghana.
- 1 Who is An On-Air-Personality (OAP)
- 2 What Does An On-Air Personality Do
- 3 Qualities of An On-Air-Personality (OAP)
- 4 How To Become An On-Air-Personality in Ghana
- 5 Conclusion
Who is An On-Air-Personality (OAP)
On-air-personalities also called Radio Personalities are people who host, announce, play music, provide commentary, and interview guests for on-air entertainment. In order to become an OAP, you need to be creative and generate ideas for new on-air contents.
In addition to working in a studio environment, radio personalities sometimes make appearances and broadcast live from local events or promotional locations. They must interact with the radio audience over the phone, in person, and through social media.
Some OAPs act as masters of ceremonies (emcees) or disc jockeys (DJs) at weddings, parties, or clubs.
What Does An On-Air Personality Do
You might want to ask, what are the duties of a radio personality? Below are some of the things that most OAPs do both on-air and off-air.
- Present music, news, sports, the weather, the time, and commercials
- Interview guests and moderate panels or discussions on their shows
- Announce station programming information, such as program schedules, station breaks for commercials, or public service information
- Research topics for comment and discussion during shows
- Read prepared scripts on radio or television shows
- Comment on important news stories
- Provide commentary for the audience during sporting events, at parades, and on other occasions
- Select program content
- Make promotional appearances at public or private events
Qualities of An On-Air-Personality (OAP)
Here is the thing, before you even think of becoming a radio personality, you need to possess some of there qualities. These qualities help you to be a better and sound OAP.
A professional Radio Presenter should possess the following skills;
- Have an attractive, strong personality being naturally outgoing and confident.
- Enjoy contact with an audience and with people in general.
- Be able to communicate effectively and have a good understanding of the whole production process.
- A good radio voice and friendly disposition on air.
- Have excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Possess performance skills and a clear voice for broadcasting.
- Have research and interviewing skills complimented by an inquisitive nature.
- Have awareness of Media Law.
- Be able to handle stress and make decisions under pressure
- The ability to generate ideas and a good team working spirit.
- Should be highly efficient due to the deadline-oriented nature of the job.
How To Become An On-Air-Personality in Ghana
Now let’s go straight to the process of becoming an on-air-personality in Ghana. However, before I list out the whole process, let me mention that you don’t have to possess all the qualities listed above. As you grow in the career path, you’ll get to sharpen and become a better OAP.
1. Earn a Degree
This is like the first thing that you need to become an OAP in Ghana. You need a bachelor’s degree to be competitive for an entry-level position for a radio job. Typically, radio announcers need a bachelor’s degree in programs such as communications, broadcasting or journalism.
College broadcasting programs offer courses, such as voice and diction, to help students improve their vocal qualities. In addition, these programs prepare students to work with the computer and audio equipment and software used at radio and television studios.
2. Make a Demo Tape
Now you can take a step further by making a demo tape. Make an audiotape of yourself presenting a show or reading news. In order to sound more professional, you could visit a nearby radio station and ask to use their studio to make a demo tape.
Note, some might be willing to help out while others will turn you down. However, there is no harm in trying. If you can’t get into a professional studio, then record yourself on an MP3 player and submit it to a Program
3. Meet a Program Director
The next step that you need to take is to meet a program director. Maybe you can visit your favourite radio station to talk to them. Another way, you can send your demo via email, however, I strongly recommend you meet them physically if you have the opportunity.
Once you have that contact, tell them about your love for radio and that you’d like to help out the radio station in any way you can. Sometimes you might be given a chance or otherwise.
Remember that each radio programmer is looking for a specific type of voice for their radio station. If you’re not called back, don’t think you are not qualified. If you send out 100 CDs or MP3 samples, your chances are good that someone will think you have what it takes. So don’t give up.
Another way, you could also wait for radio stations to advertise positions for on-air-personalities.
4. Take Any Job at the Radio Station
I will say take any job at the radio station. This will totally increase your chances of finally becoming a radio personality. In fact, the closer you are to a radio station the better.
No matter the position on offer, embrace it with open arms. Who knows an opportunity might present itself and you have to grab it.
5. Don’t Give Up
Finally, don’t ever give up. No matter the number of rejections that you’ve got, don’t give up. Be persistent and send out even more CDs and MP3s. You never can tell where you’ll be needed.
So many people have aspired to become a radio personality, however, only a few have the opportunity of fulfilling their dreams. They may be but a few radio stations around, but that shouldn’t discourage you. Just get yourself prepared and you could finally become an on-air-personality.