In this guide, we’ll be looking at the list of universities offering architecture in Ghana. However, before we give the list of institutions, let’s take a look at the responsibilities and requirements to becoming an architect in Ghana.
Architecture is a professional course that deals with drawings of layouts, maps of building, structures. It is the art and science of designing building and non-building structures.
Before a building is to be built, it is designed in such a way by architect such that all the layouts would be revealed. Architecture is studied both in the universities and polytechnics as a professional degree course which has a range of four (4) years in Ghana.
General Admission Requirements for BSc Architecture
Undergraduate Admission Requirement
The basic requirement for entry into the B.Sc. (Architecture) Degree Programme conforms to the university’s minimum/general entry requirements amongst three groups of applicants:
- WASSCE/SSSCE APPLICANTS
- A’ LEVEL APPLICANTS
- MATURE APPLICANTS
Candidates must have credits in THREE Core Subjects at SSS Level (English Language, Mathematics, and Integrated Science) as well as credits passes in THREE Elective Subjects including Mathematics in any two of the following options:
- Group A (Technical): Technical Drawing, Woodwork, Building Construction, and Metalwork
- Group B (Visual Arts): General Knowledge in Art, Graphic Design and Picture Making
- Group C (General Science): Physics and Chemistry
- Group D (General Arts): Economics and Geography
A’ Level Applicants
Applicants must obtain at least five credits at the Ordinary Level including English Language, and Mathematics; as well as a combination of THREE passes at the Advanced Level Examination. The combinations allowed include:
- Three Subjects from Group A
- Three Subjects from Group B with Mathematics or
- Three Subject Combinations from Groups A and B
The two subject groups are indicated below:
- Group A – Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Statistics
- Group B – Art, Building, Carpentry and Geography,
Applicants must note that a pass in General Paper is mandatory.
Applicants in this category must have attained the age of 25 years at the time of submitting the Application and must have either of the following:
- Five credits at the Ordinary Level including English Language, Mathematics and a Science Subject (Physics, Chemistry or General Science),
- WASSCE/SSSCE credits in THREE Core Subjects (English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science) as well as credits in THREE Electives from options stated above.
In addition, applicants must have shown interest in the area of Architectural Design. Also, before you gain admission to study architecture in Ghana, you are required to pass a written and oral examination after the pre-qualification exercise.
Universities Offering Architecture in Ghana
Below is the list of universities in Ghana offering architecture.
- Central University College Ghana
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
Above are the universities offering BSc architecture in Ghana. However, if you feel we have left out any school please let us know in the comment section below.