Spain is a diverse country sharing the Iberian Peninsula with Portugal at the western end of the Mediterranean Sea. Spain is considered an exotic country in Europe due to its friendly inhabitants, relaxed lifestyle, its cuisine, vibrant nightlife, and world-famous folklore and festivities. If you are planning a visit to this exotic country, you need to know the basic Spain visa requirements.
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Spain, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Spain permanently, you will have to apply for a different Schengen Visa, accordingly.
- 1 Required Documents for a Spain Visa Application
- 1.1 If employed:
- 1.2 If self-employed:
- 1.3 If a student:
- 1.4 If retired:
- 1.5 Additional Documents Required for the most Frequent Purposes of Spain Visa Application
- 1.5.1 Spanish Tourist/Visitor Visa
- 1.5.2 Spain Visa for Business Purposes
- 1.5.3 Spain Visa for Medical Purposes
- 1.5.4 Spain Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
- 1.5.5 Spain Visa for Members of Official Delegations
- 1.5.6 Spain Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other types of Internship Purposes
- 1.5.7 Spain Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Spanish citizen
- 1.5.8 Spanish Airport Transit Visa
- 1.5.9 Spain Visa for Under-Age Children
- 1.6 Spain Schengen Visa Fees
Required Documents for a Spain Visa Application
- Download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Spanish Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Attach 2 photos; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Schengen Travel Insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000€ coverage within Spain and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Spain and itinerary. (Click to find cover letter samples for visa applications)
- Flight Reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Spain
- Hotel Booking Reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Spain.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Spain. A foreigner who seeks to enter the territory of Spain needs to attest owning the overall amount for the duration up to 10 days that is representative of a 90% of the gross national minimum wage (598.68€) that is 583.74€, while in case of exceeding 10 days the daily required amount is 64.86€.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- No-objection certificate from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- Leave approval letter from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Spanish Visa application.
Additional Documents Required for the most Frequent Purposes of Spain Visa Application
Aside from the general documents rquired for spain visa applications, there are also other documents that are specific for each travel purposes.
Spanish Tourist/Visitor Visa
This is the most popular Spanish visa, and it is meant for those travellers looking to visit Spain for less than 90 days. According to Spain visa requirements, the following documents are required to be submitted especially for a tourist visa application to the embassy:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Spain with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Spain Visa for Business Purposes
A business visa is given to those who are planning to visit Spain for engaging in temporary work or business. However, this visa definitely does not grant the applicant to take up new employment in Spain. The documents required for applying for a business visa are:
- Invitation letter from the Spanish company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Spain Visa for Medical Purposes
A lot of people travel to Spain and certain other countries to seek better medical treatment or specialized treatment for a disease that cannot be treated in their own country. For this purpose, the Spain visa requirements are the following:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Spain, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Spain Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
This is a special visa given to applicants who want to travel to Spain to participate in cultural or sporting events. In addition to that, film crew can also apply for a visa to get permission to shoot a film in Spain. Documents required to be submitted to fulfill Spain visa requirements for this category are:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Spain Visa for Members of Official Delegations
If your travel is related to attending intergovernmental meetings, consultations, negotiations or events, you will need to apply for a special official visit visa. The following documents will have to be shown to the embassy in order to be eligible for this visa:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Spain Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other types of Internship Purposes
Only applicants who are intending to study in a Spanish institution, conduct research or even undergo some kind of educational training and internship for less than 6 months, are eligible for a student visa. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Spain Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Spanish citizen
This visa is for people whose spouses are from Spain. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Proof of Spanish citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Spanish nationality or naturalization order)
- Spanish marriage certificate
- Spanish family record book
Spanish Airport Transit Visa
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Spain Visa for Under-Age Children
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Spanish embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Spain Schengen Visa Fees
If you are applying with VFS, then there is a processing fee of €20 that you will need to pay with VFS.
- Schengen Short Stay Visa (tourist visa, business visa and transit visa) €60
- Children aged =6<12 applying for short stay visa €35
- Student Visa €50
- Long Stay Visa (work visa and permanent residence) €99
Attention! Please consult the Embassy of Spain in your country for the updated Spain Visa requirements!