Australia which is officially known as the Commonwealth of Australia is the 6th largest country in the world by total area. The official language is Australian English. Australia also has a booming economy with a high life expectancy and low unemployment rate. So if you are planning on travelling to Australia from Ghana, then, you are in the right place as we have compiled a complete guide on how to apply for Australia visa in Ghana.
But before you can travel to Australia, you will need a visa. The visa must be specific for the reason of your travel. In this article, we will show you how to apply for Australia visa in Ghana, Australia visa requirements for Ghanaians, Australia visa fees for Ghanaians, Australia visa processing time in Ghana and lots more.
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Australia, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Australia permanently, you will have to apply for a different Australian Visa, accordingly.
What is Australia Visa
The Australia visa is a formal permission on a passport of a foreigner by the Australian government allowing the passport holder to enter and leave Australia freely. Key information contained in the Australian visa is the duration of your stay and the purpose of your visit and other details. The Australian visa is valid for a period of time and they are of different types depending on the purpose of your visit.
Types of Australian Visa
They are different types of Australian visa. The most common types of Australian Visa are
- Tourist Visa
- Student Visa
- Work Visa
- Medical Treatment Visa
- Skilled Visa or Sponsored Visa,
- Family visa
- Electronic Travel Authority.
Your purpose of visit will determine the type of visa that will be issued to you at the Australian Embassy.
Australia Tourist Visa
The Australian tourist visa is for people who are travelling to Australia to visit relatives, do business for up to three, six or twelve months. You are not allowed to use this visa for work purpose, as there is a different visa for that.
Australia Student Visa
The Australian student visa is specifically for people who are travelling to Australia to study. The visa will cover the study period plus an extra vacation period that will depend on the duration of the course of study. For example, a 10 months course will be issued a visa valid for 12 months.
Australia Work Visa
The Australian work visa is for individuals who have a particular skill set that is in high demand in Australia. To be eligible for the work visa, you must do the following;
- Apply for a skill select visa: In applying only skilled workers and business people interested in migrating to Australia are been considered for a skilled visa by the applicant submitting an “Expression of Interest” (EOI) through skill select. An EOI is an indication that you would likely to be considered for a skilled visa. It is not to be mistaken for a visa application.
- You can apply for a temporary work (skilled) visa. Applying for this indicates that you wish to travel to Australia to work in a nominated occupation for an approved employer for up to ten years.
SEE ALSO: How to Apply and Get a Job in Australia.
Electronic Travel Authority
The Electronic Travel Authority is issued for short-term visits for tourism or business purposes. However, it is only available to passport holders from certain countries, location or region. Also, most of the electronic travel authority visas are issued online between the Australian Department of Immigration and travel agents, airlines or specialist service providers.
Australian Visa Requirements for Ghanaians
Importantly, the Australian Embassy in Accra, Ghana service citizens of the following countries Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Togo, Mali, Senegal, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea.
So, citizens of these countries who want to apply for Australian visa must first fulfil the visa requirements as stated below. They would be required to prove they don’t have any criminal record which has kept them in prison for a minimum of one year. Also, a police certificate will be required to back up this claim.
Apart from the Australian character requirements, you will also need to provide the following documents.
- An Australian visa application form.
- A Ghanaian passport with a minimum of six months validity period left.
- A 29mmx34mm, coloured passport with white background.
- Photocopies of your ID card and passport.
- A proof of the Australia visa application fee payment (An original receipt).
- Financial documents to provide that you can financially sustain yourself in Australia.
These documents might include– six-month bank statements- proof of earnings or the financial document of a guardian in Australia that has sufficient resources to financially support you.
- Letter of Introduction
- Medical check report.
- Employment letter.
- Bank statement.
- Children birth certificate (if any).
- Family pictures.
How to Apply for Australian Visa in Ghana – Step-By-Step Guide
This is a stepwise process on how to apply for the Australian visa, just follow the procedures for a successful application. This application can be done either online or offline.
The step of applying online and offline are quite similar; the major difference is that for the online method, you will provide your biometric data through the visa application centre, VAC. Before applying, you should understand your reason for requesting a visa and the visa types you need.
Below are the steps you need to take to apply for Australian visa online:
- Sign up for an ImmiAccount.
- Complete the online application form.
- Provide the details of your passport.
- Scan every document that is necessary.
- Attach the files you scanned.
- Submit your application
- Supply your biometric data via the visa application centre.
However, if — for one reason or the other — you prefer the offline method, here are the steps you should take:
- Download and complete the Australian Visa Application form (Form 1419).
- Get every document necessary to support your application
- Schedule an appointment at the visa application centre in Accra.
- Make the payment for your visa application in cash.
- Supply your biometric data via the visa application center.
You can pay for your Australian visa in two ways: You can pay in cash at the VAC or at the bank with your credit card through the ImmiAccount. You will be given a receipt, the only proof for the transaction, after making the payment.
How to Track Australian Visa application in Ghana
Once you have successfully applied for the Australian visa, the processing could take around a month. If your application is approved, you will be given a Transaction Reference number also called TRN. You can track your Australian visa application status with this unique number.
Applicants that have been issued visas will be notified via email. You will be able to receive your visa via the means you fill in the application form earlier; returning of visas is usually done through courier service.
Australian Visa Processing Time in Ghana
If an applicant properly follows the due Australian visa application process, it might take about 4 weeks to process the visa. So, it is recommended you apply early before your expected travel date.
Australia Visa Fees in Ghana
The Australian visa fees for Ghanaians varies depending on the visa type. You can use the visa price estimator to check the fees applicable to your visa type.