Living on our planet calls for the attention of various discipline to try and understand the world that we live in that is why some people in archaeology try to discover and understand how humans survived in the pre-historic era. Ecology, on the other hand, aims at understanding how we humans interact with our environment and also the consequences of their actions.
What Does It Mean to Be An Ecologist
Working as an ecologist involves conducting several studies which are aimed at understanding our environment and offer possible solutions to some harmful effects caused by human interaction.There are several areas to specialize in these include:
- and Evolutionary Ecology
Sometimes specialization in these areas usually occurs at a later stage or during postgraduate level training.
Relevant Skills for Ecologists
Ecologists need to have the following skills for progression in their career, this is very important because some of the work would be on the field with little or no supervision they include:
- Knowledge of plant and animal taxonomy
- Ability to work under extreme conditions in novel environments
- Statistical and analytical skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of research methodologies
- Ability to work collectively in a team
- Knowledge of geography(helps during fieldwork)
The Requirement to Study Ecology in Ghana
Studying ecology can be of different routes, some universities do not offer ecology at undergraduate level therefore you would have to study a science-related course such as:
- Zoology e.t.c before proceeding to study ecology at the graduate level.
What Kind of Job Can I Get with a Degree in Ecology?
Most jobs would be tailored towards your area of specialization, but ecologists can also work in sections listed below:
- Research Institutions
- Environmental agencies
- As personal consultants
- In wildlife and agricultural organisations
- Non-governmental organisations focused on environmental preservation
Work Experience as an Ecologist
Getting experience would be easier while still in school in form of internships. However, joining societies of ecology would also give you the opportunity to meet and network with people who can be potential employees in future.
Universities in Ghana Where You Can Study Ecology
To work in ghana would require that you have a bachelors or masters degree in universities such as:
- University of Ghana
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology
- University of Education Winneba
- Presbyterian University College Ghana