Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Newmont Mining Corporation Recruitment 2020.
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Regional Long-term Planning Manager
- Provide visible and felt leadership in support of health, safety, security and S&ER programs.
- Be responsible for the generation of timely and accurate Long Term Planning work packages for the region.
- Ensure the execution of Long-term Planning standards, guidelines, procedures, best practices and planning improvement initiatives, including consideration of safety in design.
- Support and collaborate with the site mine planning teams in the generation of the short and medium term portion of the Business Plan to ensure a single integrated Life of Asset Business Plan for the sites and region as part of a bridge planning process.
- Work with global Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and SRD group to adopt and test new Long Term Planning processes and tools to improve Long Term Planning/strategic planning practices.
- Build and maintain trust and credibility with key stakeholders including the site Technical Services Manager, Site Business Manager and site functional teams.
- Draw on experiences in open pit and/or underground to ensure the Long Term deliverables are considering and applying diversified engineering techniques.
- Work with the mine-site geological, geotechnical, metallurgical, geostatistical and S&ER teams to align, consult and inform on key work package deliverables.
- Collaborate with the project teams in developing of high level models to evaluate project alternatives and select recommended plans for project advancement.
- Develop final Investment System compliant project financials models for all projects advancing through investment approval.
- Provide project teams with all required sensitivity analysis and align values with current corporate financial guidance.
- Provide guidance to verify strategic fit of projects and advancement thereof to achieve Reserve and Resource deliveries, based on corporate goals and feedback from Strategy sessions including engagement with the SRD group as required and with guidance from the Regional Director Long-term Planning.
- Work with regional, site, exploration, SRD and project leadership to define operation and project plan options, and source required data necessary for generation and analysis of plan options.
- Generate scenarios which provide alternative development paths to the region and the corporation based on portfolio needs and corporate guidance, present alternatives and make recommendations for site and project operations and project development for each scenario for regional approval.
- Develop and maintain strategic planning models which combine production and business metrics from projects and operations to provide clarity on asset value and optionality.
- Develop strategic options in collaboration with the sites and Regional Director Long-term Planning, to support Scenario planning requirements to inform business plan inputs.
- Work with sites to manage development of Life of Asset business operating plan physicals (budget) consistent with recommended strategic plan and approved by site and management teams.
- Develop Long Term Planning talent under the guidance of the Regional Director and SME/governance group; this includes providing feedback, coaching and training to improve relevant skills with a view to succession planning for this role and general improvement in the use of new techniques, technology, software and best practices.
- Lead regional reserve reporting process, coordinate site and project teams to verify compliance with Newmont and SME guidelines and SEC regulations.
- Lead the Long-Term Planning team through development of reserve and resource estimates, ensuring alignment of reserve and resource declarations with long-term regional strategic view.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mining Engineering or equivalent is essential.
- Relevant certificates of competency – certification as Professional Engineer, and/or Qualified-Competent Person status.
- Must have strong understanding of financial modelling and analysis including: discounted and undiscounted financial analysis and reporting, fixed/variable cost modelling, project incremental analysis, stockpile inventory calculation and logic.
- Knowledge of exploration methods and resource estimation.
- Minimum of 12 years experience in mine planning, optimization, operations and strategic planning in large and diversified mine sites, with preference for experience in conventional hard rock Gold / Copper-Gold operations.
- Conisderable experience in supervision and leadership of Mine Engineering professional staff and related groups.
- Experience in operations with complex multi mine, multi process situations preferable and seasoned knowledge of mine methods, mine design, production scheduling, equipment selection, reserve estimation, maintenance and expert systems.
- High level of competence in the use of mine planning software, including optimal techniques and cash flow analysis and extensive experience with mine design and scheduling packages from Deswik, Geovia Whittle, MineSight, or Maptek.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence and impact in a dynamic, multitasking environment with competing priorities and a high level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to build and maintain a strong communications network with Planning peers, Technical Services Managers, Project/Study Directors, Mine Managers, and JV partner representatives.
- Strong problem solving and 3D visualization skills.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
- Customer focus.
- Attention to detail.
- The position is nominally located at the Regional office in Accra.
- Employee will be required to travel to site (25-35%), and the corporate office (10-15%) based on engagement needs.
- Position requires travel nationally and internationally.
- Will be required to access mining and processing areas, rough terrain, or exploration sites.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.
- The incumbent is exposed to an environment where the need for detailed or precise work is extreme.
- Must be sensitive to cultural differences within the Company.
Job Title: Regional Director- Environmental Affairs
- Oversee the implementation of the regional permitting strategy for the acquisition and maintenance of environmental related permits for new and existing operations.
- Provide high- level assistance, guidance and support to operating areas to ensure standards and policies (reclamation, water, biodiversity, etc.) are being implemented and consistent with company practices.
- Act as the primary regulatory liaison person on permitting and environmental related matters.
- Manage the Reclamation and closure, water and biodiversity standard implementation.
- Contribute towards Newmont’s environmental policies and procedures and drive implementation in line with local environmental laws and best practice.
- Assess, analyse and collate environmental performance data and reporting information to internal staff, clients and regulatory bodies.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Contribute towards the S&ER budgeting, perform auditing risks review and reporting.
- Assist with the compilation of monthly and quarterly environmental performance and issue reports for management.
- Monitor the financial performance of the Environmental Affairs department versus budgets and ensure all activities are carried out in line with the approved guidelines while promptly reporting on any variances to management.
- Liaise regularly with the Senior Director, S&ER and other relevant stakeholders on environmental performance
- Collaborate with senior management to identify and analyze environmental requirements, risks, and solution options and implement agreed upon strategies.
- Collaborate with management to develop the capabilities of Newmont’s environmental and permitting professionals through strategic training and development opportunities.
- Plan and implement actions for continuous improvement and site and project support.
- Participate in the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement and sustainability of systems, processes and practices considering global standards, productivity improvement and cost reduction.
- Provide guidance and on the job training for junior colleagues and conduct knowledge sharing to facilitate achievement of team objectives and completion of tasks in an efficient manner which is consistent with operating procedures and policy.
Health and Safety
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and/or provide services by following Newmont’s Health and Safety systems and protocols.
- Oversee that all work carried out adheres to Health and Safety standard operating procedures.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science or related field.
- 10 – 12 years’ experience in the mining sector.
- Extensive direct experience and knowledge of environmental impact assessment and permitting, reclamation, water and biodiversity management.
- Experience in environmental assessment and permitting of large scale developments.
- Previous mining experience and demonstrated ability to achieve deadlines and manage priorities.
- Leadership experience.
- Demonstrated people management experience and the ability to work with internal and external partners.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and consultation skills.
- Expertise in developing strategic relationships which support current and future company activities and needs.
- Demonstrated experience with continuous improvement programs and integrated management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve deadlines and manage priorities.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Conflict resolution.
- Results driven.
- Attention to detail.
Application Deadline: 19th November 2020.