The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Programme is open for African citizens to study for postgraduate (Honors and Masters) degree at South African Universities 2018
Mandela Rhodes Scholarships
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Programme is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality leadership development programme, with the intention to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.
A Mandela Rhodes Scholarship enables a Scholar to study at a South African tertiary institution registered with the South African Council on Higher Education for an accredited postgraduate degree programme. The Scholarship is awarded for one or a maximum of two years, currently for an Honours or Masters degree.
Areas of Study: The leadership development programme is made up of the following three components.
- Three residential workshops
- Three regional group pods
Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must posess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2017
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- The MRF leadership development activities sometimes include weekends. It is a condition of the Scholarship that attendance is compulsory
Number of Scholarships: Several
Value of Scholarship: The Scholarship covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution;
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF;
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF;
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF;
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme;
- Personal allowance.
Duration of Scholarship: Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years)
How to Apply for Mandela Rhodes Scholarships
All Mandela Rhodes Scholarship applicants are to apply online via the Embark application system.
For more information, visit Mandela Rhodes Scholarships.
Application Deadline: 15th April 2019