The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standardized English language test which is designed to test the English language proficiency for non-native English Speakers. The exams are for foreign speakers who wish to study, work and live in an English-speaking environment.
The IELTS exams are offered in different countries including Ghana. So, in this guide, we’ll be showing you the online registration procedure for IELTS in Ghana.
To register and take the IELTS test in Ghana is very simple. All you need to do is check the online portal for admissions and register for the exam at a date scheduled. There are many test centres in Ghana, so you can choose the one closest to you. Below is a guide on how to register for IELTS exams in Ghana.
IELTS Ghana Online Registration
Registering for IELTS in Ghana isn’t that difficult. As such, we’ve put together a step by step guide on how to register for IELTS online in Ghana.
- First, find an IELTS exams centre in Ghana. There are officially four centres in Ghana: Cape Coast, Accra, Kumasi and Tamale. It’s advisable you choose the one closest to you.
- Register for your test. This can be done in two ways. You can pay for your test either online registration system or via bank transfer to any branch of Standard Chartered Bank in Ghana using the British Council Virtual Account deposit slip. If you are going for the second option, then make sure you attach your national identification documents when submitting at the local test centre.
- IELTS test date and confirmation. Once you have successfully registered, you’ll receive a confirmation message that indicates the date and time for which you have been scheduled for the exams.
- Your speaking test may be scheduled on the same day as other sections, or on a different day usually with a 7-day period before or after your main test date.
- After booking your test, you’ll also receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online courses.
- You will also receive your IELTS Reference Number to access the Test Taker Portal. Please make sure that you have included your email address correctly when you book your test.
Note the following:
- The IELTS exam is not recommended for test-takers under the age of 16.
- Knowing about the specific exam dates can be useful as they will help you plan on how to attend IELTS classes in Ghana as this could improve your performance in the exams.
Requirements for IELTS Exams in Ghana
Candidates will not be allowed to take the test without the original ID document. The ID document should be Passport/ National ID for Ghanaians. A student ID, Voters ID and driver’s license will not be accepted.
The ID document is strictly a valid Passport for non-Ghanaians. Any other identity document will not be accepted. Please note that candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent by a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- How to Prepare for IELTS Writing Test.
- Download IELTS Writing Test Samples With Answers.
- How to Prepare for IELTS Reading Test.
- IELTS Academic Reading Practice Tests Samples (Download PDF)
- IELTS General Training Reading Practice Tests Samples (Download PDF)
- How to Calculate Your IELTS Score Band.
- IELTS Test Date and Centres in Ghana.
Cost of IELTS Test in Ghana
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam is taken after settling a certain amount of fees. The fee depends on the type of test that you want to take. Below is the breakdown of fee for IELTS test in Ghana.
- Academic and General Training (Paper-based & Computer-based) – GHS 1418
- UKVI (Academic and General Training) – GHS 1562
- Life Skills (A1 and B1) – GHS 1080
- Academic & General Training – Abidjan – GHS 1505
NB: If you are applying for a visa to emigrate to the UK then you may need to apply for the IELTS for UKVI test.
However, you may have to incur extra costs for attending classes that will prepare you for the exams. The British Council in Ghana is responsible for registering people for the course. The areas offering these test are currently in Kumasi, Accra, Cape Coast and, Tamale.
IELTS Ghana Test Dates
The British Council offers the registration to interested candidates on a first come first serve basis. In fact, it is recommended that people find out the dates the exams are scheduled to happen and then plan to register at least five weeks before their preferred dates. However, there may be slots available even later than this period. You need to keep checking online for the status of the test places availability since it ceases to show once the application slots are all filled up.