Do you need IELTS academic reading test samples with answers? You are at the right place. One of the secrets of passing the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exams is proper preparation. A better way of preparing is by having access to test samples with answers.
These IELTS academic reading test samples are just to give you a brief overview of what you should expect on the day of your exams. So, if you have registered for IELTS exams, you need these reading test samples to boost your chances of passing.
Apart from the reading test samples, you can also see our guide on how to prepare for IELTS reading test. This guide tells you everything that you need to know about the IELTS academic and general training reading test.
IELTS Academic Reading Practice Tests
The IELTS academic reading test is a 60 minutes long examination. It comprises of three (3) sections. The total length of texts is between 2,150-2,750 words.
- Each section contains one long text.
- Texts are authentic and are taken from books, journals, magazines and newspapers. They have been written for a non-specialist audience and are on academic topics of general interest.
- Texts are appropriate, and accessible, to test-takers entering undergraduate or postgraduate courses, or seeking professional registration.
- Texts range from descriptive and factual to the discursive and analytical.
- They may contain non-verbal materials, such as diagrams, graphs or illustrations.
- If texts contain technical terms, a simple glossary is provided.
Question Types for IELTS Academic Reading Test
The IELTS academic reading test contains varieties of questions chosen from the following types: multiple choice, identifying information, identifying writer’s views/claims, matching information, matching headings, matching features, matching sentence endings, sentence completion, summary completion, note completion, table completion, flow-chart completion, diagram label completion, short-answer questions.
IELTS Reading Test Marking Scheme
Each correct answer receives 1 mark. Scores out of 40 are converted to the IELTS 9-band scale. Scores are reported in whole and half bands.
Download IELTS Academic Reading Sample Tasks
- Answer sheet (PDF, 130KB)
- Identifying writer’s views (PDF, 56KB)
- Matching features (PDF, 22KB)
- Table completion (PDF, 59KB)
Flow-chart completion (selecting words from text)
Identifying information (true/false/not given)
Multiple choice (more than one answer)
Multiple choice (one answer)
Summary completion (selecting from a list of words or phrases)
Summary completion (selecting words from the text)