The image of a company, How customers perceive their products and their customer relationship skills determine to a large extent how much sales would be generated at all times.
This is the reason why brand managers are employed to spend time creating strategies, carrying out research and work with other departments in identifying possible trends that can lead to growth and sales. Most multinationals and medium scale businesses employ brand managers directly while small scale businesses might employ the service of a consultant in managing their brand.
Job Profile For Brand Managers
Brand management involves understanding, maintaining and creating strategies for products, services and brands to attract more attention from consumers or the desired target audience. Brand management accounts for the success of any great brand which we admire or patronise regularly. A successful brand management strategy leads to;
- Boosting your brand awareness
- Increase in Revenue for the company
- Influence your audience’s purchase decisions
- Build customer loyalty
- Create happy customers that become brand advocates
The success of your brand strategy is based on how effective your application of brand management principles is. some of the principles used in creating brand strategies include
- Brand Equity: helps to create value through reputation, impression and perception. a brands reputation can sometimes help to increase the sales of a new product within a short period.
- Brand Recognition: this deals with audience engagement, in terms of how easily your target audience can recognise your product without necessarily seeing the company which is responsible for the products. The use of logo’s, Jingles and packaging play an important role in brand recognition.
- Brand Loyalty: Brand loyalty evaluates how devoted a customer is to their product when compared to their competitors. Emphasis is placed on brand loyalty because it increases the chance of advertising via word of mouth
People who work in brand management have great interpersonal, analytical, data visualization and interpretation skills which are useful in creating unique strategies, especially for a highly competitive product.
The work schedule is usually from 9-5 pm in the office. There are exceptions where you might have to work outside the office or in a new environment during brand promotion activities.
Job Description For Brand Managers
As a Brand Manager, your daily activities would involve;
- Analyzing the brand position and consumer preference
- Translate brand elements into plans and go-to-market strategies
- Work with people in the marketing department on brand initiatives
- Generate creative strategies to motivate the target audience
- Establish performance specifications, cost and price parameters, market applications and sales estimates
- Measure and report performance of all marketing campaigns using the outlined KPI’s
- Monitor market trends, research consumer markets and competitors’ activities
- Monitor product distribution and consumer reactions
- Devise and implement growth strategies
What Skill Should I Have To Work In As A Brand Manager?
Some of the relevant skills for a successful career as a cartographer includes;
- Organizational Skills
- Analytical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to interpret data
- Great attention to details
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Up-to-date knowledge in marketing and consumer trends
Where Can I Work As A Brand Manager?
Working as a Brand Manager can be an exciting career especially when working in different positions as your experience increases some of the sectors where you would work includes
- Manufacturing Companies
- Hotels and Restaurants
- Marketing agencies
- Private and Public Organisations
What Steps Can I Take To Become A Brand Manager?
Successful Brand managers have demonstrated creativity, good communication skills and an excellent approach to consumer research in their previous or current roles.
Although a degree in marketing might be an advantage, most people with other degrees can start in junior positions as an associate while receiving relevant training on the job.