Over the years, the adoption of mobile money transaction in Ghana has been on the rise. Due to its fast and secure mode of transaction, it has become an integral part of the banking system in Ghana.
Many Ghanaians have embraced mobile money as their preferred mode of payment in the country. With people viewing it as a more convenient, accessible means of moving value (money) from one person to another.
The benefits of mobile money are many. Some of them include the accessibility it brings to rural areas, reduction in cash dependency, lower transaction costs, job opportunities to an unusually vast number of individuals who act as mobile money agents.
All the major network provider in the country have implemented some form of the mobile banking system. We have the likes of MTN mobile money, Vodafone Cash and AirtelTigo Cash Payment system.
However, among all of them, MTN mobile money (MoMo) transaction is still leading mobile money banking system in the country. Due to its popularity, many people are going into the business of becoming an MTN money agent in Ghana.
In this article, you’ll learn the procedures and requirements to become an MTN mobile money agent/merchant in Ghana.
What is MTN Mobile Money
MTN Mobile Money is a secure electronic service that enables MTN Mobile Money wallet holders to store funds, send and receive money, make payments and do a number of other transactions simply using their mobile phone. It’s fast, simple, convenient and affordable. And it’s offered by MTN in partnership with over 10 partner banks, in a number of countries across Africa.
How Does MTN Mobile Money Work?
MTN Mobile Money stores funds in a secure electronic account linked to an MTN mobile phone number. Before sending funds, please check with your recipient that they have a registered MTN Mobile Money account.
Who is a Mobile Money Agent?
Mobile money agents are the people who initiate and make these transactions on behalf of end-users. Typically, they are like the middlemen in the transaction process. They earn money by getting commissions on every transaction they carry out. Commission rates differ per agent host platform.
How to Become an MTN Mobile Money Agent in Ghana
To become an MTN mobile money agent in Ghana and earn a commission, there are some basic requirements that you must meet first.
- Registered Company (Limited)
- Fill and submit Agents Recruitment Form
- Fill and submit Agent Account Handler Form
- Agent/ Merchant code of ethics
Registered Company (Limited)
All prospective MoMo merchants are expected to at least have a limited company or its equivalent with existing outlets ready to offer under the company names and provide the below Business document requirements
- Business Registration Certificate
- Provide a valid national photo ID (Voter’s ID/ National ID/ NHIS ID/ Driver’s License/ Passport/SSNIT ID).
This is to ensure that, in case of unforeseen circumstances, you can easily repay your debt and that of your customers.
Agents Recruitment Form
All prospective agents must complete and submit the MTN mobile money registration form. Information needed in the form includes business details, bank details, business location details, profile, business owner’s details. Once you’re done you need to submit your form for review.
Agent Account Handler Form
You also need to complete the MTN mobile money agent account handler form and submit alongside other documents. Information needed here includes agent’s personal details such as full name, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, occupation, residential and national identification.
Agent/ Merchant Code of Ethics
To become a registered MoMo agent/merchant in Ghana, you also need to complete the code of ethics form. This document is a binding agreement agreeing to abide by the business ethics.
MoMo Agent Location and Structure
Prospective Agents must also meet the required structure and location requirements as set in accordance with EMI (E-money Issuer) guidelines. The structure and location requirements are as follows:
- Permanent structure in the form of Brick and Mortar, Semi-permanent structure (Defined) is required for an Agent outlet. These structures should be placed within 50-100 meters radius.
- Wooden structures popularly known as kiosks and Space2Space Umbrella outlets do not meet the standard requirement.
How Much Do I Need to Register As a MoMo Merchant in Ghana?
To become a registered MoMo agent/merchant in Ghana, you also need to meet the agent capital requirement.
Agents are required to have a startup capital of GH¢ 4,000.
After meeting the structure and location requirement, and submitted your application, you will need to wait for sometimes before you get feedback from MTN.
Processing of Documents
The following points should be noted whiles you wait for your application to be processed:
1. Please note that MTN Mobile Money shall respond via email or phone to all applicants upon receipt of their application.
2. Applications received shall be vetted to ensure they meet all requirements.
3. Presenting fake documents in support of agent applications is a criminal offence and MTN Mobile Money reserves the right to reject any applications that do not meet the requirements above and take such action as may be necessary in respect thereof.
4. Successful applicants shall be informed via email or phone about the status of their application.
5. Processing of a successful application shall take a minimum or maximum of twenty-three (23) working days from the date on which the application is received.
6. Successful applicants shall be notified via email or phone call upon completion of service.
MTN Mobile Money Agent Commission Structure
Being an MTN mobile money agent comes with some benefits in terms of commissions. Agents are rewarded commission per transaction they carry out. This commission serves as a profit for these agents.
The commission fees are structured in the following ways:
- For any withdrawal of between GH¢ 1 to GH¢ 50 using your MTN MoMo code, the client is deducted GH¢ 0.50
- For any withdrawal above GH¢ 50, the client has a processing fee of 1% of the money to be withdrawn.
- When sending any amount between GH¢ 1 to GH¢ 50, the sender is deducted GH¢ 2.50
- For sending any amount larger than GH¢ 50, the client is deducted 5% of the money as fees.
Can I Receive MTN Mobile Money from Abroad?
With MTN mobile money you can conveniently receive money from abroad. MTN has partnered with various companies including WordRemit and Western Union, to facilitate receiving money from abroad.
To receive money in Ghana, the sender will need your number and should be located in any of the countries where the service is available. Make sure to check with the service you are using for the MTN Mobile Money limit.
MTN mobile money is one of the most convenient means of transaction in Ghana. This presents a business opportunity for entrepreneurs who want to become an MTN MoMo merchant.
To get quick approval, ensure you have all the documentation required and ready. Once you have been approved, you can now earn commissions for facilitating the deposit of cash and withdrawal from MTN Mobile Money wallet.