Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for AngloGold Ashanti Recruitment for Mine Maintenance Services Superintendent. The application deadline is 7th May 2019.
AngloGold Ashanti is a global gold mining company with mines and exploration projects in four different regions namely – Continental Africa, Americas, Australasia and South Africa. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
- Company: AngloGold Ashanti
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
The Mine Services Superintendent is accountable for the development and implementation of Mine Services aspects of Underground material movement and up to ground level.
Fixed and Mobile Plant and Infrastructure maintenance within the area of accountability, including Winding, Conveyors, material and personnel transport through the application of operational engineering policies, standards, systems and procedures to maximize plant availability in a sustainable cost-effective manner and minimize operational risks in order to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Deliver the Safety Management plan elements in a compliant manner for the areas under the incumbent’s control
- Provide technical input to the Maintenance Manager – Underground for inclusion to the Safety Manager, Refurbishment Manager, Planning Manager, Technical Services Manager and Construction Manager in order to develop the safety management plan for the construction and refurbishment works, consistent with AGA’s Integrated Management System and Standards.
- Review the application of compliance and safety standards and work practices for the refurbishment construction and mining workforce to enable the safety targets to be managed and achieved.
- Apply HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate safety behavior consistent with AGAG’s vision and values.
- Lead by example to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed so tasks are performed without risk of injury or harm.
- Continuously seek opportunities to improve design and field safety performance.
- Apply the ‘working elements’ (inspections, audits, JHA, etc.) of the Safety Management System and deliver compliance
- Deliver timely investigation of all injuries, illness, and incidents with actions plans developed to prevent recurrences
- Identify safety training needs and deliver safety training requirements to enable personnel to safely perform their designated work
- Execution of the Mine Services supervision of underground aspects of construction, refurbishment and maintenance activities in accordance with the Government of Ghana conditions of approvals and the site’s Environmental Management Plan
- Issue environmental related instruction to any employees at the workplace
- As a minimum, achieve zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and no events requiring public disclosure
- Utilise, ‘Analyse and Improve’ tools to investigate process interruptions so that exposure to environmental risks is reduced
- Reduce energy usage by running the mine energy consumption per unit produced at the optimal rate within sphere of influence
- Support the Mining Department’s support to the Processing Department to maintain Cyanide Code certification.
- Establish the Underground Mine Services Maintenance team required to support the role holder in executing the project
- Using AGA’s How we Work guidelines, clearly define the roles and accountabilities of subordinates.
- Recruit and appoint people to role in accordance with AGA policy and localization objectives as directed by the Senior Mining Manager.
- For those AGAG employees who will be part of the continuing operation prepare and execute training and development plans.
- Ensure the organization structure is capable of delivering the Mine Services maintenance strategy
- Communicate policies and procedures in a manner so as to achieve full understanding and compliance
- Provide guidance to subordinates in leadership techniques to achieve maximum performance
- Develop a skills matrix that includes all disciplines and individual achievements
- Verify that supervisors complete the skills matrix and maintain up-to-date
- Identify skill deficiencies and initiate corrective action
- Develop an appropriate succession plan for key positions with the correct supportive development plan
- Select and appoint staff to role requirements
- Provide major inputs to Maintenance Manager – Underground to allow reporting of Operational Readiness for the Underground engineering/maintenance throughout the operation.
- Develop the Mine Services aspects of the Operational Readiness plan for the Mining, Mine Planning and Mine Engineering teams including localization plan.
- Implement the approved organizational structure required to deliver the project targets and future operational requirements.
- Engage and develop appropriately skilled, capable and experienced personnel in the area of accountability.
- Support the development and implementation of systems for the Engineering and Mining departments to provide effective planning of work, efficient and safe work practices, monitoring of performance and promote continuous improvement.
- Prepare and manage the actual winding operations during the Phase1 & 2 Operations
- Ensure the work carried out by the underground Mine Services team is of a standard that supports the operational requirements of the equipment and is compliant at optimum cost
- Ensure execution of Safe/Compliant/Efficient Maintenance of Underground infrastructure( Winders, Shafts, Conveyors, Loading Areas (C & M and Operations)
- Identify sub-standard work practices and take action to eliminate them and identify the root cause of these poor work practices.
- Assign tasks to subordinates in line with achieving the agreed production plan
- Lead a team of engineers to specify, design, analyze and verify new components and systems.
- Implement corporate programs, e.g. asset management strategies, System for People, Operational Effectiveness, etc. across areas of control.
- Deploy management routines to identify defects in the workplace
- Establish a good rapport with the other departments to ensure common goals are identified and reached
- Prepare the departmental budget that supports the company’s objectives and strategy
- Ensure cost impacts in the area of accountability are evaluated, approved and budget is revised
- Identify, communicate and implement potential cost reduction initiatives
- Manage the department in line with the operational budget
- Communicate to subordinates the relevant financial detail to each individual’s level ensuring their understanding and obligations to meet the budget goals
- Develop an asset management strategy in the area of accountability based on the Obuasi Operations expected a life of mine.
- Utilize the SAP asset maintenance management system in maintenance activities.
- Ensure all subordinates are competent in the utilization of the SAP asset maintenance management system to support a smooth transition into operations.
- Liaise and work collaboratively with the procurement team to establish the inventory and spare parts for the Underground Mine Infrastructure, Mobile Equipment, and Ore and Personnel Transport
- Proactively identify and manage change to avoid the potential cost, schedule and quality issues
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Maintenance Engineering, or equivalent
- Masters’ Degree in Management will be an advantage
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses.
- An experienced Winder and Material Conveying Operations Manager / Engineer with 10+ years’ experience in underground mining
- Experience in management of Maintenance and Repair Contracts (MARC)
- Experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of SAP PM module
- Must possess Engineering Managers Certificate of Competency from Mineral Commission of Ghana or WinderOperations Engineer Certificate or Similar – issued by the Government of Ghana or an international certificate valid in Ghana
- Professional Certificated Engineer with a relevant certification body
- Strong Mine Services maintenance competencies in underground environments on fixed plants and mobile equipment
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Detail oriented to understand complex systems, and recognition that a minor error can cause major problems
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties. Legally astute with respect to project delivery and maintenance systems
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing
- Knowledge in AGA standards
- Knowledge in OEM legalities and mining regulations
- Demonstrated understanding of good engineering practices and the implementation of proactive maintenance strategies.
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs;
- Continuously improve the processes used by the team in delivering outputs;
- Model work behaviors for your subordinates,
- Consistent with the company values
- Proven ability to initiate and drive the construction project through its life cycle.
- To support and motivate the construction project team to deliver the project goals.
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem solving
- Create an environment of teamwork and willingness to help coworkers
- Able to work with different kinds of people
- Organizational skills to keep track of many workers, schedules, and budgets all at once
Interested Ghanaians with the above qualification and experience should submit their applications, with a detailed CV.
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should Click here to apply.
Application Deadline: 7th May 2019.