The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) registration can be done in a variety of ways in Ghana. You can choose the online registration, phone registration, registration by mail or by using a registered agent.
However, in this guide, we’ll show you how to register for TOEFL in Ghana. We’ll also take through through the full TOEFL online registration procedures (Online, Phone, and Mail). So, you might want to know what TOEFL stands for or why you need it.
- 1 What is TOEFL?
- 2 Internet test (TOEFL iBT)
- 3 Paper-based test (TOEFL PBT)
- 4 TOEFL Online Registration Procedures in Ghana
- 5 TOEFL Online Registration in Ghana
- 6 How to Register for TOEFL by Phone
- 7 How to Register for TOEFL by Mail
- 8 Cost of TOEFL Test in Ghana
- 9 Things You Should Know About TOEFL
What is TOEFL?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is an exam administered to candidates to determined their proficiency in English. It measures your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks in English.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is of two formats, the internet-based test (iBT) and paper-based test (PBT). However, candidates can only choose one of the test formats.
Internet test (TOEFL iBT)
The TOEFL iBT format consists of the following structure.
– Reading section of between 60-100 minutes which involves reading 3-5 passages, containing 12-14 question in each
– Listening section of between 60-90 minutes which involves 6-9 passages, containing 5-6 questions in each
– Speaking section which lasts 20 minutes and involves 6 spoken tasks
– Writing section which last 50 minutes and involves 2 tasks which need completion
Paper-based test (TOEFL PBT)
The TOEFL PBT format consists of the following structure.
– Listening section of between 30-40 minutes consisting of 3 parts
– A structure and written expression section lasting 25 minutes which includes 15 exercises of sentence completion and 25 examples for error identification
– Reading section which lasts 50 minutes and includes answering 50 questions about passages
– A writing section which lasts 30 minutes, which involves one written essay containing around 250-300 words
The main difference between the two formats is the spoken section of the test which is replaced by structure and written expressions section in the paper-based test.
TOEFL Online Registration Procedures in Ghana
As earlier mentioned, there are a number of ways in which you can use to register for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test in Ghana. Importantly, walk-in registration at the test center is not allowed.
TOEFL Online Registration in Ghana
To apply for TOEFL online, follow the steps below.
- Registration can be done 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Ensure your registration name matches the identification you’ll bring on the test day. (See Identification Requirements). You are required to enter at least 1 form of identification before you can register for a test date.
- Proceed to make payment either with a credit/debit card. Pay with a credit/debit card: Only VISA cards are accepted for Ghanaians. Although other cards are available for payment such as American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, China Union Pay®, Diners Club®, Mastercard®. You can also use a PayPal® account, or an electronic check (e-check) if you have a bank account in the United States or its territories.
NOTE: Payment methods are subject to change without prior notice.
All other cards and e-checks except VISA cards are not accepted for the following locations: Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and Togo. Only VISA cards are accepted for those locations.
- Registration closes 7 days before your test date.
- Late registration closes 4 days before your test date and has a late fee of US$40.
How to Register for TOEFL by Phone
- Review the Registration Form (PDF) before you call. Spell your name exactly as it appears on the identification you will bring on test day. See identification requirements above.
- Go to www.ets.org/toefl/contact and select your location (Ghana) to find the phone number for your Regional Registration Center (RRC).
- Pay with credit/debit card: in this case, your VISA card.
- Registration closes 7 days before your test date.
- Late registration by phone closes at 5 p.m. local test center time on the business day before the test and has a late fee of US$40.
How to Register for TOEFL by Mail
- Download and fill out a Registration Form (PDF). Spell your name exactly as it appears on the identification you will bring on test day. See identification requirements above.
- Choose 1 of the payment methods listed on the form.
- Mail your form and payment to your RCC. To find the contact information for your RRC, go to www.ets.org/toefl/contact and select the country (Ghana) where you plan to test.
- Forms must be received at least 4 weeks before your test date.
- If you do not receive a confirmation, call the location where you mailed your paperwork — at least 3 business days before your registration deadline.
- If you register by mail you will need to enter certain codes manually that are input automatically online. See Code Lists for Registering by Mail.
Cost of TOEFL Test in Ghana
How much does it cost to write the TOEFL test in Ghana? Well, in writing this test, you also need to consider the cost including fees and course materials.
I recommend you check the TOEFL test centers in Ghana before you proceed with your registration.
TOEFL Registration Fees in Ghana
Below is the breakdown of the Test of English as a Foreign Language registration fees in Ghana.
|Reinstatement of canceled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$20 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||US$160|
NOTE: Fees are subject to change without notice.
Things You Should Know About TOEFL
- The TOEFL iBT test can is only given on fixed dates, and it happens all year round. You might have to check the ETS website for the exact date and timing of your desired location.
- Your official scores can be sent to up to four Universities (if you select them before the test).
- Your responses are scored holistically on a scale of 0 to 5. The average score on the two tasks is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- You are given the option of canceling your scores at the end of your test session
- Yes, you can reinstate your scores if your request is received at ETS within 10 days of your test date, for a fee of US$20.