Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for New Narratives Recruitment 2023/2024.
New Narratives is one of the reputable firms in Ghana
Job Title: Software Development Trainer
Senior Editor/Project Manager
The Center for Journalism Innovation and Development and New Narratives invites applications for a newly created role in our Ghana team to lead editorial output and manage partnerships supporting journalism on air pollution.
This role will suit an entrepreneurial, senior journalist and team player with experience in major newsrooms in Ghana. The successful candidate will have a keen interest in issues of air pollution, environment, and climate change and an extensive network of contacts in the field.
Term: 12 months with the possibility of extension.
About the role:
Senior Editor/Project Manager will:
- Become an in-house expert on issues related to air pollution and build a strong network of stakeholders and experts to support journalism production
- Manage key relationships with leading Ghanaian media outlets
- Support commissioning and editing of investigations by journalism fellows
- Conduct the occasional investigation
- Design and coordinate workshops
- Conduct surveys of media leadership and other stakeholders
- Support production of monthly podcast/radio programs
- The role will include 20% of the time on project management.
What We’re Looking For:
- 8+ years of demonstrated experience as a journalist, including in leading independent Ghanaian newsrooms
- Demonstrated strong news judgment and investigative journalism skills
- Experience as an editor
- Entrepreneurial mindset, willing to take the lead on a new program and help make adjustments and recommendations to benefit the project.
- Extensive network among the leadership of key media outlets in Ghana
- Confidence to make connections with key stakeholders, especially in the government
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in editing or reporting on issues of pollution, environment, or climate
- Strong commitment to ethical journalism practice
- Team player able to work with remote leadership
Desirable (but not required)
- Training experience
- Radio production
About the organizations:
The Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID), formerly the Premium Times Centre for Investigative Journalism (PTCIJ), is a West African media innovation and development think (and do) tank.
Our mission is to strengthen West Africa’s journalism sector to promote democratic accountability in the service of inclusive and sustainable development.
Our vision is to enable a media landscape that advances the values of democracy.
New Narratives is a US-registered newsroom and news ecosystem builder. Our mission is to support independent news organizations in low-income countries to provide citizens with the information they need to play their roles in democracy: driving change, spreading good ideas, and keeping leaders accountable. By targeting funding, editorial, and business-building support to impactful, independent media in each market we create a virtuous cycle where partner newsrooms set a higher standard for people-centered, fact-based reporting. Rival media lift their standards to compete. A more healthy media market lifts the quality of journalism across the board.
Tips: Provide a summary of the role, what success in the position looks like, and how this role fits into the organization overall.
Responsibilities[Be specific when describing each of the responsibilities. Use gender-neutral, inclusive language.]
Example: Determine and develop user requirements for systems in production, to ensure maximum usability
Qualifications[Some qualifications you may want to include are Skills, Education, Experience, or Certifications.]
Example: Excellent verbal and written communication skills
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and CV to [email protected] by midnight June 29th, 2023