The University of Ghana, Legon, is pleased to invite applications for the position of Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies, to begin August 1, 2020.
Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies
The KWAME NKRUMAH CHAIR IN AFRICAN STUDIES was established at the Institute of African Studies, University of Ghana in honour of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Pan African luminary and Ghana’s first president, for his contributions to the intellectual life of the African World, and for his projection of Africa on the world stage.
Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies Eligibility
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates in any discipline relevant to the study and understanding of Africa. The successful Applicant will be a scholar or public figure who has a strong understanding of African/Africana/pan-African Studies, has a strong research and publishing record, and has attained distinction in his or her discipline. He or she may also be a public intellectual or artist well versed in the indigenous knowledge and cultures of Africa.
Responsibilities: Applicants should be committed to pursuing their own research agendas, collaborating and sharing their expertise with other researchers, and developing interdisciplinary exchanges. Specifically, the Chair will be expected to:
- Deliver public lectures, including an inaugural lecture, which will be published by the University;
- Conduct research and/or create and establish a social or cultural project;
- Produce a publishable manuscript on the research emanating from the tenure, where appropriate;
- Prepare a report detailing the results achieved at the end of the tenure period;
- Assist the University to raise resources to grow the endowment for the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies;
- Assist in publicizing, and participate in the Biennial Kwame Nkrumah Intellectual and Cultural Festival.
Value of Award: Salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant but will typically be at the level of Professor (disclosure upon short listing). The Chair will also be provided with:
- Return business class ticket or equivalent from his/her location to Accra.
- Airport pick up.
- Office accommodation including a computer, printer, internet access and necessary office materials.
- A Research Assistant and/or other support staff.
- Accommodation and medical insurance.
- A research grant.
Duration of Program: Appointments will typically be for one academic year (August 1- July 31) but with the possibility of extension for a second year.
How to Apply for Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies
The application pack should contain the following:
- Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd.
- a cover letter expressing interest,
- a curriculum vitae,
- a proposal for the programme of work to be carried out during the period of the tenure (max 5 pages)
Applicants must arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the Registrar.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and they may be invited for a face-to-face interview. The successful candidate will be informed by February, 2020.
For more information, visit the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies.
Application Deadline: 30 November, 2019.