Data is an important tool that is needed in every organization regardless of what sector they operate in. As the worlds also continue to embrace technology and its advantages there is a need to evaluate data to identify trends for improvement in different areas within organizations.
Different people use data in different ways, there are business analysts who work strategically within a company to identify problems and solutions from data obtained from the data analyst.
We also have data scientists who make use of data visualizations while also looking to create more tools that make working with data more efficient and less stressful. What this means is that there are many opportunities in the field of data science with an increase in demand in different sectors.
Job Profile For Data Analysts
Like I said earlier, the role of data analysts in organizations are in high demand because organizations rely heavily on data to make important decisions such as they type of product to develop, the target market for products, consumer behaviour in the market and other business-related issues that need more insight.
Depending on what organization you might be working with, data analytics can be of four types;
- Descriptive analytics which examines the business operations in the past, some parameters include quarterly sales, procurement of equipment, electricity used, website traffic e.t.c
- Diagnostic analytics tries to understand and answer questions as to why something happened by identifying trends and patterns within data sets.
- Predictive analytics make use of observations from descriptive and diagnostic analytics in determining possible future outcomes. This helps businesses make decisions and source for alternatives in the face of a disappointment.
- Prescriptive analytics tries to identify what steps to take, they try to address potential problems, market trends, and production processes in organisations.
Of all these types of data analytics, the most important to organizations are diagnostic and prescriptive analytics mainly because they are looking for ways to solve problems and optimize their function.
Having a master’s degree in data analytics also helps to equip you with relevant skills such as statistical modelling, programming languages, data visualization and risk management in business environments which are important in your daily activities as an analyst.
Job Description Of Data Analysts
- Maintaining data systems and databases in the company
- Fixing coding error and data-related problems
- Collection of data from both primary and secondary sources, organizing such data in a more presentable and understandable way
- Make use of statistical tools and software in data interpretation
- Identifying trends and patterns that can be useful for diagnostic and predictive analysis
- Preparing reports of data analyzed in a way that can be used in the explanation of trends and patterns during executive meetings
- Working alongside engineers and data scientists in system modifications and development of algorithms for effective data management.
What Skill Should I Have As A Data Analyst?
- Problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of database languages such as SQL, R or Phyton
- Efficient in using spreadsheet tools e.g Microsoft Excel or google sheets
- Can use data visualization software e.g Tableau
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and concepts
- Experience with database querying
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Project management
- Time management
Who Are The Employers Of Data Analysts?
As a data analyst, you would enjoy a wonderful career in any industry of your choice depending on your areas of interest. some of the places you can consider includes;
- Government agencies
- Tech-related companies
- Aviation industry
- Hospitality industry
- Audit firms
- NGO’s such as UNICEF, UN
- Manufacturing Industries
- Logistics companies e.t.c
What Steps Can I Take To Become A Data Analyst?
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, or mathematics gives you an opportunity to start your career at junior or entry-level positions. , However, if you are looking to advance in your career then it is important that you get a master’s degree in data analytics which is required for senior positions. Also, data analysts are needed in every sector but they need to demonstrate that they have the adequate skill set required, therefore it is important that you try to get internship positions or even volunteer in organizations that are of interest to you during your long vacation from school.