African Career Accelerator Awards 2018… Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for 2018 African Career Accelerator Awards at the University of Ghana with the support of the UK Government.
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA
OFFICE OF RESEARCH, INNOVATION AND DEVELOPMENT (ORID)
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
AFRICAN CAREER ACCELERATOR AWARDS
The Office of Research, Innovation and Development (ORID) is pleased to inform the university community that the Crick African Network has announced a Call for Applications for the African Career Accelerator Awards. The programme is supported by the UK Government’s Global Challenges Research Fund. The awards will provide fellowship support for African Post-Doctoral researchers whose interests are to transition to becoming independent researchers and aiming to launch their own research group. The awards further seek to invest in early-career researchers who have demonstrated strong scientific and leadership potential, as well as a commitment to continuing their research on the African continent.
Thematic areas of the research must focus on infectious diseases of poverty with emphasis on Tuberculosis, Malaria and HIV/AIDS, but also extending to neglected tropical diseases or non-communicable diseases. There exists opportunities for clinical research, however the possibility will have to be discussed specifically with potential supervisors/advisors and their institutions to confirm availability of resources to support the research.
NATURE OF AWARD
- The fellowships will commence not later than 31st March, 2019 for a period of up to two (2) years.
- Six (6) fellowships will be awarded with a value of up to approximately £130,000.
- Award may include personal salary, visa costs and research expenses to implement the research.
- The programme will be held in two locations: The Francis Crick Institute (‘the Crick’, UK) and at one of the five (5) African partner institutions: The University of Ghana (Ghana), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), University of Cape Town (South Africa), MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM (The Gambia) and MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit.
- Fellows will spend at least six (6) months in each location and this can be accumulated into more than one (1) visit.
Applicants must be a citizen of one of the 55 African nations, as defined by the African Union. Applicants must also have a PhD and have no more than six (6) years post-doctoral research experience (with allowances for legitimate career breaks) but more than 2 years post-doctoral experience unless the applicant has an outstanding track record, supported by publication and employment history.
- Applicants must first submit a mandatory Expression of Interest (EoI) form available online from 23rd April, 2018 at the following link: https://www.crick.ac.uk/media/414599/can_aca_expression_of_interest_form.pdf
- Having established eligibility, applicants will be invited to discuss their proposed research with suggested supervisors to refine research plans.
- Eligible applicants will be provided with the link to the online application portal which opens on Wednesday 23rd May 2018
- Successful applicants at the full application stage will be invited for interview to be held in September 2018.
- The outcome of applications will be announced on 1st October 2018.
Interested applicants are to visit: https://www.crick.ac.uk/african-network/fellowships for more information on the application process.
Further enquiries on the fellowship may be directed to: [email protected]
- Submission of Expression of Interest form is due on 1st July, 2018
- Submission of full application for eligible applicants is on 1st August, 2018