Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Africa Trade Insurance Agency Recruitment 2020.
Job Title: Senior Actuary
• Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, the role will also support both the Finance and the Underwriting departments and will help on risk analysis, stress testing, reserving, pricing and implementation of IFRS17.
• Develop or improve claims reserving methodologies
• Develop and maintain a reliable statistical database
• Develop a stress-testing model and conduct regular stress tests
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports
• Develop or improve ATI’s pricing model and monitor pricing adequacy for ATI’s overall book of business
• Assist with presentation of rate impacts to key stakeholders including senior management and ATI’s major accounts
• Help optimize ATI’s reinsurance program
• Establish and document actuarial procedures and methodologies
• Provide data, analysis and support to various external and internal customers; including auditors, reinsurers and reinsurance brokers, when required
• Stay abreast of trends and innovations in the actuarial profession related to pricing, reserving, credit and related areas
• Develop a thorough understanding of IFRS 17 requirements from both an actuarial and accounting perspective
• Advise and provide the necessary support on the IFRS 17 implementation project and proactively participate in the implementation of an IFRS 17 tool
• Coach other staff on the use and interpretation of standard actuarial procedures in the risk, underwriting, claims and finance departments
• Qualified Actuary
• 6-8 years of experience in actuarial field, including supporting actuarial reserving, pricing or financial modeling in the financial sector, related to Corporate or Commercial Insurance. This experience period may include some time spent completing the qualification process
• Experience obtained in corporate or commercial banking or Insurance firms
• A combination of education and experience demonstrating the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the work will also be considered
• Familiarity with appropriate data analytics tools
• Ability to deliver timely, organized and consistent results
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Written and oral English is pre-requisite
• French language proficiency is an added advantage
Job Title: Senior ESG Officer
• The Senior Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Officer is responsible for developing and overseeing environmental, social and corporate governance policies and procedures, as well as reviewing and appraising proposed underwriting transactions to be socially and environmentally sustainable and comply with ATI safeguarding policies and internationally recognized best practices.
• The role works with underwriters and clients to define steps necessary to address compliance gaps where they arise from policy and identifies opportunities to add value proactively, beyond compliance and risk mitigation, and contribute to long-term developmental impact and sustainability within Africa.
• The ESG Officer formulates recommendations and requirements for client action and incorporates these into applicable internal and client-related documentation to facilitate underwriting or financing.
• The role is responsible for monitoring the environmental, social and governance performance of deals in the ATI portfolio.
• The Senior Environmental, Social and Governance Officer reports to the Chief Risk Officer within the Risk Department and works closely with external stakeholders to achieve the policy goals of ATI in regards to ESG best practice and standards.
• Provide technical expertise on key issues related to environmental and social impact assessment and on sustainability risks in the design, preparation, implementation and supervision of ATI’s operations taking into consideration best industry practices and standards
• Manage and conduct environmental and social safeguarding due diligence for underwriting
• Identify all key potential social and environmental impacts and risks of transactions and ensure that their magnitude and significance are well understood by internal underwriters and approvers
• Ensure that the policyholder understands the applicable ESG policies, guidelines and project-specific requirements, and has the necessary commitment and capacity to manage social and environmental impacts and/or risks adequately and supported by mechanisms that facilitate the implementation
• Work with member countries, donors and other relevant units of the ATI to mobilize technical and financial support to enhance the environmental and social sustainability of operations, adding value to operations, including through external expertise where deemed necessary
• Conduct consultations with stakeholders in accordance with relevant policies and guidelines and be responsible for reporting on such
• Report on and disseminate good practices and generated knowledge.
• An advanced degree (at least Masters or equivalent) in engineering, environmental management, environmental sciences or relevant field.
• At least 6 – 8 years of relevant experience in working with private sector firms across industry sectors (including infrastructure, agribusiness, and/or manufacturing) to identify environmental/social risk and issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
• Exposure to African and global development institutions and their operational practice will be a desired attribute.
• Oral and written professional proficiency in English; in addition French is desirable.
Job Title: Credit Analyst
Under the oversight of the Senior Credit Analyst and overall supervision of Chief Risk Officer, your functions and duties shall be as follows:
• For a given set of countries, analyse and monitor the general economic and political environment insofar it affects the creditworthiness of companies, including:
o Key sectors of the economy and their performance
o Quality and availability of information on companies
o The regulatory environment i.e. government regulations and policies towards commercial entities
o The legal environment i.e. security perfection, bankruptcy and legal ways for debt collection
• Undertake financial analysis of corporate customers using credit skills, ratio analysis; evaluation of parent support policies; judgement of management and strategy. In this respect, analyse historical and projected financial statements of potential and existing obligors, as well as potential and existing ATI insured’s; monitor receipt of quarterly/annual financial information and credit grading of accounts for annual review; monitor the quality of ATI’s credit exposure portfolio by ensuring that limits are consistent and respected, and to identify and signal early warning signs of credit deterioration
• Review and update (as may be required from time to time) the organisation’s credit information database and obligor underwriting system
• Evaluate and understand risks associated with individual applications for insurance, the underlying project, parent support policies, quality of management and strategy and recommend appropriate risk mitigation measures
• Ensure compliance with ATI’s policies, including the provisions of the operations manual and ensure that ATI’s policy breaches are properly authorised at the correct senior approving level
• Have contacts with key clients, banks and obligors in order to develop both general intelligence on a given sector or region and specific information about private obligors and public buyers
• Evaluate and document the soundness of the credit management policies of lenders and traders;
• Contribute to debt collection and risk mitigation actions
• Contribute to corporate communication exercises, workshops and conferences
• Travel on a regular basis to meet information sources, clients, banks, buyers and other business partners
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned to you from time to time
• The position will be based in Kenya, with the possibility of relocation to another African country.
• Strong credit experience, preferably with an African bank of the credit institution
• Fluent in English and, preference will be given to candidates with additional fluency in French or Portuguese
• A minimum of 5 years banking and credit experience in one of the following regions: Francophone East, Central or West Africa
• Good personal network in that region (banking and corporate)
• Master’s Degree in Business/Economics, or equivalent through experience
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
How to Apply for Africa Trade Insurance Agency Recruitment
Interested applicants should submit an Application Letter, Personal History Form (Downloaded from the ATI website) CV, plus details of your current remuneration package along with details of three referees to [email protected]
Download Personal History Form HERE
ATI will only contact those applicants who are being actively considered for an interview.
Application Deadline: 11th July 2020.