Applications for the 2018 World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship to Morocco are now open. Do you dream of traveling the world with your camera? Apply now to win a 10-day all-expenses-paid trip to Morocco with pro travel photographer Richard I’Anson.
World Nomads has partnered with the likes of the World Wildlife Fund, Intrepid Travel and National Geographic Adventure over the last ten years to bring you real-life photography assignments. These opportunities give aspiring photographers the chance to hone their storytelling skills and learn from professional photographers in the field.
If you are looking to turn your passion for photography into a profession, these mentorships offer invaluable experience, advice and perspective in the ever evolving world of travel photography. This is your opportunity to showcase your photography skills and individual perspective on the world.
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- Return economy airfare from the nearest international airport to Morocco, courtesy of Airtreks.
- A 10-day, all-expenses-paid trip in Morocco courtesy of our friends at World Expeditions, accompanied by your mentor, professional photographer, Richard I’Anson.
- High-quality adventure backpacks, courtesy of Osprey.
- A copy of Lonely Planet’s Guide to Travel Photography by Richard I’Anson.
- The cost of any relevant visas and vaccinations and travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
The winner will arrive in Morocco on April 2 and depart April 13, 2019.
World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship Eligibility
They’re looking for one aspiring travel photographer to go on an all-expenses-paid assignment to Morocco to capture the colorful nation’s people, culture and landscapes under the mentorship of world-renowned travel photographer, Richard I’Anson.
- This is a learning opportunity for someone who is looking for an introduction into the travel photography industry, and wants to be mentored.
- If you are still learning the craft of photography and the majority of your income is not derived from photography activities, then you are eligible to apply.
- The scholarship is not open to professional photographers of any kind. If you derive more than 25% of your income from photography you would be considered a professional and would therefore be ineligible.
- You need to be 18 or over at the time of the application deadline (before October 11, 2018).
- English does not have to be your first language, but you do need to have conversational English for this scholarship.
Your photo story should:
- Feature an original subject and your original perspective
- Convey a compelling and cohesive story
- Showcase your excellent technique and creative composition
- Be supported by complementary, thoughtful captions
World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship Application
- Shoot a 5 image photo story: Your brief is to tell a story from a place that you have visited through images (with accompanying captions to help contextualize each shot). A ‘place’ can literally be anywhere, from your backyard to somewhere you visited on your travels.
- Write a winning essay: Tell us in 1,500 characters or less, what winning this photography scholarship would mean to you and why you are the best person for the assignment. In your essay tell us about yourself, your passion for photography, what motivates you and what your photography aspirations are. Paint a picture for us of the budding photographer behind the story.
- Complete the application form: You know the drill, fill in your personal details so we know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.
The scholarship recipient, along with the shortlist of the best photo essays, will be published on the World Nomads website on November 27, 2018.
For more information, visit World Nomads.