The University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public Health, in conjunction with the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR), hosted at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for University of Witwatersrand Postgraduate Training Scholarships, a full scholarship supported by TDR to undertake the full-time Master Degree Programme in the field of Implementation Science.
WHO/University of Witwatersrand Postgraduate Training Scholarships Eligibility
To be eligible for University of Witwatersrand Postgraduate Training Scholarships:
- Be resident in and a national of a low- or middle-income country in the WHO African Region.
- Applicants should normally be 35 or younger for the Master Programme. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty.
- Be proficient in English.
- Meet the Programme’s requirements: http://www.wits.ac.za/publichealth/academicprogrammes/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-epidemiology/
Field of Study: MSc Epidemiology in the field of Implementation Science (18 months full-time)
Eligible Fields of Study:
- The degree programme is open to candidates from a range of disciplines including clinical and other
health-related fields; statistics and other quantitative fields, as well as demography and social sciences.
- The degree programme should also appeal to candidates who want to become more involved in research in health-related fields.
Value of Award
The scheme will provide full scholarships for nine Masters in the 2020 academic year and covers the following:
- Return economy air fare.
- Tuition fees.
- Basic medical and accident insurance.
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation.
- Support for the research project expenses.
Further, recipients’ careers will be tracked with the new TDR Global alumni and stakeholder platform that will monitor the impact of the programme, as well as provide networking and increased visibility opportunities for the Fellows.
How to Apply for WHO/University of Witwatersrand Postgraduate Training Scholarships
The application process is two-fold.
1. Application to the University of the Witwatersrand: Apply by completing a University of the Witwatersrand postgraduate application form online at:
Application fee is R200 for both international and local applications.
Application deadline is 31 July 2019.
2. Application for the TDR scholarship: The application for the TDR scholarship should be made separately in writing and should include the following documents:
a. A letter of motivation for applying for the scholarship.
b. A certified copy of the bio-data page of the passport.
c. Evidence of application to study Implementation Science as the field of study in the MSc Epidemiology Programme at the University of the Witwatersrand of the School of Public Health commencing in the 2019 academic year.
d. A comprehensive curriculum vitae including a description of relevant research and work experience.
e. Two confidential referee reports should be sent directly by the referees to Mrs Gloria Bowes ([email protected]).
Scholarship applications should be sent to: Mrs Gloria Bowes at [email protected]
For more information, visit the WHO/WITS Postgraduate Training Scholarships.
Application Deadline: 31st July 2019.