The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has released provisional results of candidates of the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination for school candidates.
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) wishes to inform its numerous publics that it has released provisional results of candidates, who took the West African Senior School Certificate Examination for School Candidates, 2020. The Council will despatch the results to the schools and candidates are advised to contact their heads of school for their results.
Meanwhile, the Council has hosted the results online and candidates who so desire, may access their results at the Council’s website. The Council is alerting members of the public especially candidates to be wary of impostors, who promise to change examination results for a fee. Candidates are to note that all WAEC results are well secured and can be authenticated. Persons with forged results will be exposed.
A total of 375,763 candidates from 976 schools entered for the examination. This figure is 8.6% higher than the 2019 candidature of 346, 098. The 2020 entry figure was made up of 187,581 (49.9%) males and 188,182 (50.1%) females. A total of 3,343 (0.89%) of the candidates who registered were absent from the examination.
The performance of the candidates regarding the four core subjects is shown in the Table below.
WASSCE (SC) 2020P PERFORMANCEOF CANDIDATES
NUMBER AND PERCENTAGE OF CANDIDATES OBTAINING
A1 – C6
The provisional results indicate that there were improvements in the performance of candidates at Grades A1 to C6 in English Language and Mathematics (Core) in 2020 as compared to 2019 as follows:
- English Language – 48.96% in 2019 to 57.34% in 2020
- Mathematics (Core) – 65.31% in 2019 to 65.71% in 2020.
On the other hand, Integrated Science and Social Studies recorded a decline in the performance of candidates at Grades A1 to C6 in 2020 as compared to 2019 as follows:
- Integrated Science – 63.17% in 2019 to 52.53% in 2020
- Social Studies – 75.43% in 2019 to 64.31% in 2020.
- The Subject Results of 2,383 candidates have been cancelled for engaging in collusion, bringing foreign material to the examination hall and tearing part of their question papers to solicit assistance.
- The Entire Results of 480 candidates have been cancelled for bringing mobile phones to the examination hall.
- The Entire Results of 384 candidates have been withheld pending the conclusion of investigations into various cases of examination malpractice detected during and after the conduct of the examination.
In the meantime, scripts of candidates from 122 schools in certain subjects are undergoing scrutiny.
The withheld results of candidates may be cancelled or released based on the outcome of the investigations.
The Council is especially appreciative to the Ministry of Education, Ghana Education Service, the Security Agencies, Supervisors, Invigilators, Ministry of Health Officials and Examiners for their support and cooperation before, during and after the conduct of the examination amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.