In this guide, we’ll be looking at the list of universities offering BSc Nursing in Ghana. We’ll also look at career opportunities for nursing in Ghana as well as the requirements of becoming a registered nurse in Ghana.
Nursing is a core discipline in the health sciences. Nurses are professionals trained to care for people with illnesses, diseases, and injuries.
In Ghana, Nurses study at the university for at least four years. Graduating students often specialize in the following areas; mental health nursing, paediatric nursing, midwifery, general nursing, and community health nursing.
Once accredited to practice, they have the opportunity to take further qualifications and develop their interests in specialised areas of practice.
Who is a Nurse?
A nurse is a health care professional who is trained to care for people with illnesses, diseases, and injuries. Usually, nurses accompany doctors and different health care employees in medical organizations and hospitals, and their main role is to help people (from kids to old people) to feel better, stay fit, and healthy.
Types of Nurses in Ghana
Nurses can be classified based on their level of qualification and based on the type of work they do. Below is a classification of nurses based on their qualification.
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN): Licensed practical nurses are nurses that hold a diploma in practical nursing. These nurses work closely with registered nurses to gain experience before advancing their careers. LPNs can move on to become registered nurses by acquiring a bachelor’s degree.
- Registered Nurse (RN): Registered Nurses are the main nurses charged with taking care of patients and ensuring that their needs are met.
- Nurse Midwife (APRN): Nurse-midwives provide family planning, prenatal and obstetric care. These nurses serve as caregivers for women and their newborns. They also provide education on wellness, nutrition, and disease prevention to mothers and babies. These nurses usually have a Master’s degree or higher level of education.
- Nurse Practitioners: These nurses are at the top of the chain. They provide advanced health care in health care centres.
What Does a Nurse Do?
The duties of a nurse are very broad. However, in healthcare, below are the duties of a nurse.
- Conduct physical exams
- Take detailed health care histories
- Listen to patients and analyze their physical and emotional needs
- Provide counseling and health care education to patients
- Coordinate care with other health care providers and specialists
- Stay current with advances in health care options, medications, and treatment plans
- Draw blood, and perform other health-related testing
- Check a patient’s vital signs
Where Do Nurses Work?
Nurses can work anywhere outside the hospital. You can find them in a wide variety of health care settings, including doctor’s offices, urgent care centres, pharmacies, schools, and many other locations. Some of the common places where nurses work include:
- Home health care settings
- Senior living communities
- Government parastatals and agencies (military, prisons, police etc)
The field of nursing is very broad. Below are a few fields within the spectrum of nursing.
- Mental health nursing
- Paediatric nursing
- General nursing
- Community health nursing etc.
Requirements for Studying Nursing in Ghana
There are some requirements that applicants must meet before being accepted to study nursing in Ghana.
Fresh SHS applicants must have at least a credit in all core subjects including English, Mathematics and Science. Additionally, candidates must have obtained good aggregate in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Professionals with Nursing Diploma in addition to university entry requirements are admitted into level 200 or 300 after passing an interview.
List Universities Offering BSc Nursing in Ghana
Below is the list of accredited universities offering bachelor of science nursing in Ghana.
- University of Energy and Natural Resources
- University of Ghana
- Presbyterian University College Ghana
- Central University College
- Ghana Baptist University College
- University for Development Studies
- KAAF University College
- Pentecost University College
- Ghana Christian University College
- Garden City University College
- All Nations University College
- Christian Service University College
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Valley View University
- Catholic University College of Ghana
- Wisconsin International University College
- All Nations University
If you feel we’ve left out any school, please let us know in the comment section of this article.