In this guide, we’ll be looking at the list of universities offering marine engineering in Ghana. We’ll also look at career opportunities for marine engineering graduates in Ghana as well as the requirements of becoming a marine engineer in Ghana.
Marine engineering has always been one of the core disciplines in the field of engineering. This discipline is concerned with the design and construction of machinery used by various ships and sea vessels on the sea, inland and other coastal waters.
Marine engineers are involved with the design, construction, installation, operation, maintenance and repair of the main propulsion engines and auxiliary machinery and systems found in all kinds of ships, boats and offshore installations.
This alone has made marine engineering one of the highest paying engineering specialty in the world. You’ll find a marine engineer mostly in the naval industry in the country.
What is Marine Engineering?
Marine engineering is the study of the design, development, innovation, production and maintenance of the different types of equipment used at sea (e.g rigs and other floating structures) and on board sea vessels such as boats and ships.
Marine engineers focus on the development and production of internal systems of seagoing vessels. As such, it combines other engineering disciplines like electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering design and control technology (these different disciplines help make a sea-vessel an independent power plant.
Marine Engineering has the following specializations:
- Naval architecture
- Oceanographic engineering
- Nautical science
- Offshore engineering
What Do Marine Engineers Do?
Marine engineers typically do the following:
- Prepare system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics
- Inspect marine equipment and machinery, and draw up work requests and job specifications
- Conduct environmental, operational, or performance tests on marine machinery and equipment
- Design and oversee the testing, installation, and repair of marine equipment
- Investigate and test machinery and equipment to ensure compliance with standards
- Coordinate activities with regulatory bodies to ensure that repairs and alterations are done safely and at minimal cost
- Prepare technical reports for use by engineers, managers, or sales personnel
- Prepare cost estimates, contract specifications, and design and construction schedules
- Maintain contact with contractors to make sure that the work is being done correctly, on schedule, and within budget.
Job Opportunities for Marine Engineers
Marine engineers typically work in offices, where they have access to computer software and other tools necessary for analyzing projects and designing solutions. Sometimes, they must go to sea to test or maintain the ships that they have designed or built.
Marine engineers who work on power generation projects, such as offshore wind turbines and tidal power, work along the coast—both offshore and on land. They also sometimes work on oil rigs, where they oversee the repair or maintenance of systems that they may have designed.
Where Can a Marine Engineer Work?
Employers of marine engineers include:
- shipyards, boatyards and marinas
- marine engineering firms
- merchant navies
- defence navies
- the offshore oil and gas industries and mineral extracting companies
- classification societies
- marine consultancies
Entry Requirements for Marine Engineering
Credit Passes in THREE (3) Core Subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Integrated
Science and Credit passes in THREE (3) of the following Elective Subjects: Physics,
Mathematics and any one of the following: Chemistry, Metalwork, Auto Mechanics, Applied Electricity, Technical Drawing, Building Construction, Woodwork.
WASSCE/SSSCE applicants without Chemistry shall obtain at least B3 in Integrated Science.
A’ LEVEL APPLICANTS
A’ Level Certificate applicants shall have at least credits in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
Applicants shall have credits in English and Mathematics using either WASSCE/SSSCE or O’Level as substitute for Requirement 2.1
1. Mature applicants must be at least twenty-five (25) years at the time of submitting the
2. Mature applicants must have a minimum of three (3) years of relevant working experience at the time of submitting the application.
3. Mature applicants must have acquired WASSCE/SSSCE, A’ Level Certificate or an HND
from a recognised institution.
a. WASSCE/SSSCE mature applicants shall meet requirements 2.1 and 2.1.1 above.
b. A’ Level Certificate mature applicants shall meet requirements 2.2 above.
c. HND mature applicants shall meet requirements 2.3 above.
List of Universities Offering Marine Engineering in Ghana
Below is the list of universities offering bachelors degree in Marine Engineering in Ghana.
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Regional Maritime University
If you feel, we have left out any school please let us know in the comment section.