Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) Recruitment for National Project Officer.
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is a specialized agency in the United Nations system, headquartered in Vienna, Austria. The Organization’s primary objective is the promotion and acceleration of industrial development in developing countries and countries with economies in transition and the promotion of international industrial cooperation. It is also a member of the United Nations Development Group.
- Company: UNIDO
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
The overall Project objective is strengthening the export competitiveness of the Ghanaian economy through enhanced value-added, low carbon, sustainable production and processing and an increased access to regional and international markets. As a means, the Project aims to improve the performance and growth of the following value chains: (i) Cassava, (ii) Fruits (mango and pineapple) and (iii) Cosmetics and personal care products, by improving the quality of their products, exports and its integration into regional and global value chains. These sectors are in line with the priorities of the Ghanaian Government, and have a high potential for industrialisation and job creation.
The programme is in line with the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) Accompanying Measures Strategies and the Government priorities. Furthermore, it aims to: develop value chains, improve competitiveness of MSMEs, strengthen the supporting intermediate organisations and create better linkages among the selected value chain actors.
It will build on past support of the European Union towards competitiveness related issues; capitalize on lessons learnt and complement ongoing EU or development partners interventions. In order to achieve the WACP objectives for Ghana: (i) Strategic diagnostic, coaching and upgrading of value chains clustered MSMEs over the whole production and marketing.
Duty Station: Accra, Ghana
Approximate Duration: 1 year
In the framework of the West Africa Competitiveness Project (WACP) project Ghana and under the overall guidance of its programme manager at the Division of Standardization and Quality Infrastructure (PTC/TII/SQI), UNIDO HQ in Vienna, the National Project Officer (NPO) is expected to perform but not limited to the following main duties:
1. Provide specialist technical advice to the project manager on issues related to the project, ensuring that all activities are technically sound and properly planned.
2. Develop Terms of Reference (ToR) and Job descriptions for the implementation of national and international activities.
3. Provide technical guidance on the procurement of goods (conformity assessment equipment and other facilities)
and services related to the project and in accordance with relevant local and international guidelines in consultation
with the National Coordinator, through:
– Formulate specifications for the intended goods and services;
– Formulate appropriate procurement documents, including bids and contracts;
– Evaluate procurement documents submitted by prospective suppliers;
– Assess the compliance of delivered goods and services against specified requirements and international standards.
4. Ensure the technical preparation of technical meetings, workshops, seminars or trainings as required.
5. Provide, at national level, technical advice and identify needs for training in the following areas: accreditation, metrology, conformity assessment (testing and calibration, inspection and certification), standardization, and quality promotion to the specific value chains.
6. Assure, at the national level, the implementation of the technical activities of the Programme.
7. Analyze relevant national or international consultants reports and follow-up implementation of recommendations at national level.
8. Ensure the technical supervision of the missions of national and international technical experts. Conduct regular meetings with counterparts (including outside Accra).
9. Identify linkages that each component should establish with other interventions (donors) together with the other project experts.
10. Propose capacity building programmes in areas relevant to the Programme.
11. Follow up delivery, installation and commissioning of technical equipment for laboratories and other technical structures.
12. Undertake any other tasks related to the Programme as specified by the project manager.
1. Ensure the coordination of the national technical and administrative activities of the Programme with proper implication the private sector, ministries, and relevant institutions, as well as proper linkages with regional activities.
2. Coordinate and facilitate, at the national level, the missions of international and national experts and sub-contractors and ensure synergies at the regional level.
3. Ensure, at the national level, the administrative and financial management of the Programme, in liaison with the national UNIDO representative or UNDP office.
4. Ensure meetings of the Technical Coordination Committee (TCC) and the Value Chain Strategic Committees (VCSCs), and manage its Secretariat.
5. Ensure at the national level synergy of actions among relevant organizations and institutions in the area of accreditation, metrology, standardization, conformity assessment (testing and calibration, inspection and certification) and the promotion of quality, as well as other activities related to TBT and SPS.
6. Prepare national work plans (monthly, semi-annual and annual) and ensure their implementation and follow-up.
7. Prepare national budgets proposals and TORs for subcontractors for the implementation of national activities.
8. Prepare periodical technical reports (semi-monthly, semiannual and annual) on the implementation of activities of the Programme at national level.
9. Prepare the semi-annual and annual report of the Programme.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should Click here to submit CV and Application.