University of Ghana, UG Legon Distance Education Freshers Information; Fundamental Actions to Take After Checking Admission Lists/Status for the 2017/2018 academic year.
University of Ghana Distance Education Freshers Information
All fresh students (diploma, degree and diploma to degree) are warmly welcome to the University of Ghana Distance Education Programme run by the School of Continuing and Distance Education under the College of Education.
The mode of delivery of the Distance Education Programme is a combination of E-learning and face to face interaction. Students are therefore expected to have a laptop or any electronic device capable of receiving E-learning resources/materials for the programme.
Tutorials will normally be held on weekends, and students are expected to interact with their lecturers, tutors and other students using the SAKAI Learning Management System (SAKAI). Students will be trained on the use of Sakai and basic ICT skills as part of the orientation process.
The pamphlet contains the following information:
- Summary of Academic Calendar
- Procedure for Registration
- Notices on Orientation, Matriculation and Handbooks/ID Cards
- Notice for BSc. Information Technology Students
- Accessing Course Materials Online
- Contact Details
SUMMARY OF ACADEMIC CALENDAR 1st SEMESTER 2017/2018
|On-Line registration begins||Monday, September 4, 2017|
|Registration/Downloading of materials at the Learning Centres||From Friday, September 8, 2017|
|ICT Literacy Training||Saturday, September 2 – Friday,September 15, 2017|
|Orientation||Saturday& Sunday, September 16 & 17, 2017|
|Tutorials begin||Saturday & Sunday, September 23 & 24, 2017|
|Deadline for on-line registration/Deferment||Friday, September 29, 2017|
|Matriculation||Details to be announced later|
|Interim Assessments||Friday, November 10 –Sunday , November 26, 2017|
|Examinations||Monday January 8, 2018 – Monday, January 29, 2018|
|End of semester||Monday, January 29, 2018|
PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION
Full registration involves:
- Printing of provisional admission letter
- Payment of Fees
- Online Registration
- Registration/ Collection of Course Materials at Learning Centre
STEP 1: Printing of Provisional Admission Letter
STEP 2: Payment of Fees
ALL students are to pay fees as stated in their admission letters into the College of Education DE Students Fee Collection Account at any branch of GCB Bank Limited. Students should quote in full their names, level of study and student identification numbers (stated in admission letter) on all payment slips and counterfoils.
- The number appearing in your letter of admission shall constitute your student identification number and shall remain your identification number throughout your studentship in this University. You shall quote this number wherever your identification number is required. This number shall also be used in writing all university examinations and payment of all approved fees.
- Students are strongly advised to keep all copies of payment receipts, registration receipts and materials in a safe place. In the event of any difficulty arising from a student’s registration, the College Academic Affairs Office shall demand an inspection of all receipts and registration material.
- Students who have problems with the payment of fees may contact their respective Learning Centres or send an email to [email protected].
STEP 3: Online Registration
- Undertake on-line registration 48 hours after payment of fees. The steps for the online registration are available at the website, www.ug.edu.gh.
·Details of courses to be taken by students admitted to various programmes are available in the student handbooks which are available online and in the course bulletin at the Learning Centres.
- Students should register only for programmes/subjects as stated in their provisional admission letters
- Remember to print a “proof of registration” You shall be required to show a proof of registration at the Centre.
STEP 4: Registration/ Collection of Course Materials at the Learning Centre
All fresh students are expected to register at their Learning Centres and bring their electronic devices there to collect course materials. Upon arrival, proceed to the registration officers and undertake the following processes:
- Show your Provisional Admission letter and proof of online registration
- Proceed with registration
- Collect your course materials
All nursing students are required to submit copies of the following to the registration officers at the Centres:
- Registered Nursing Certificate (R/GN/MN/M/CN)
NOTICES ON ORIENTATION, MATRICULATION AND HANDBOOKS/ID CARDS
Fresh students are required to participate in a compulsory programme of orientation on Saturday & Sunday, September 16 & 17, 2017 at their respective Regional Learning Centres. Details of this programme will be made available to you later.
All fresh students will be officially recognized as students of the University at a Matriculation ceremony. Students are to dress formally, and to wear black academic gowns. The date for Matriculation and the procedure for collecting the black gowns will be announced on the College of Education/University website.
Student Handbooks/ID Cards
Electronic copies of undergraduate handbooks and regulations are available on the University’s website and hard copies will be made available to students at their learning centres.
Student ID cards will be made available to you soon. Arrangements for their collection will be announced on the College of Education/University website, noticeboards in Regional Learning Centres and on the Sakai platform.
NOTICE FOR BSC INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY STUDENTS
As a condition of your admission, BSc Information Technology Students are required to have a personal laptop with the following minimum specifications:
Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium
Productivity Tools : Microsoft Office 2007/2010
Processor Type : core i5 Processor
Memory : 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive : 250 GB
Graphics Card : 512 MB Video Memory
Emulation Software : Individual lecturers will specify what software
is required and how to obtain it.
ACCESSING COURSE MATERIALS ONLINE
Students may access the course materials through the following channels:
- PDF copies of ALL course materials can be downloaded from the Sakai Learning Management System.
- Video recordings of lectures for some level 100 and Level 200 Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts courses can also be downloaded from the University of Ghana Distance Education YouTube Channel, via the following URL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrmi-SXPbbqo_p9cnis49Ug
- ALL course videos are also available to be viewed at the computer laboratories of Regional Learning Centres.
- Students may seek assistance from IT Support Engineers at their Regional Learning Centres to have copies of pre-recorded videos uploaded onto their personal electronic devices.
Students may contact their Regional Learning Centres or any of the following for further information:
- College Academic Office- 0362194377, 0503899803; Whatsapp 0270316105
- Department of Distance Education – 0302956122
- SAKAI Hotline – 0303938855
Regional Learning Centres
|CENTRE||CONTACT NO.||CENTRE||CONTACT NO.|
|0302 228 182|
|0312 023 476|
0244 818 069
|Bolgatanga||0382 022 315||Tamale||0372 02 22380244 22 0988|
|Cape-Coast||0332 132 1000209 024149|
|Tsito/Ho||0303 938 851|
|Koforidua||0342 290 824||Wa||0392 022 1890200 737 910|
|Kumasi||0322 023 726||Sunyani||0352 027 153|