Living on campus can save you a lot of money as a freshman. Students who have been accepted into University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) can now explore the housing portal to apply for on-campus housing and manage their applications.
However, before you can apply for UCSC housing, you must have accepted your offer of admission. Then give it one-two day offer before applying for student housing.
- 1 Benefits of UCSC Housing Portal
- 2 UCSC Housing Portal Login
- 3 How to Apply for UCSC Housing
- 4 UCSC Roommate Search
- 5 UCSC Room Selection/Assignment
- 6 Housing Rent Confirmation Payment
Benefits of UCSC Housing Portal
With the University of California Santa Cruz housing portal, you can do the following.
- Apply for Housing
- Manage your housing application
- Select your move-in appointment
- Complete your roommate agreement
- Request a room transfer
- Request release from the license agreement
- Check out online
UCSC Housing Portal Login
To access the University of California Santa Cruz housing portal, follow the procedures outlined below.
- Visit the UCSC Housing portal login: https://housing.ucsc.edu/
- Log in with your UCSC user ID and password.
How to Apply for UCSC Housing
Log into the housing portal. Then follow the step-by-step directions to complete your application. You will be notified at your UCSC email when you may pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
You will be asked to electronically sign that you have read, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions of the license agreement.
UCSC Roommate Search
In your housing application, you will complete a roommate questionnaire to assist with roommate matching. You also have the option to add a personal bio to help others get to know your personality, interests, hobbies, and what you are hoping for in your roommate experience.
Interestingly, you have the option of searching, requesting, and accepting specific roommate requests (based on space availability), or accepting a non-specific roommate in your Academic College. Your roommate questionnaire is used to determine and display potential best-matched roommates. There are three ways to search for and request roommates:
- Browse Overall Best-Matched Roommates – you can see others whose responses to the roommate questionnaire were similar to yours and are not currently part of a group
- Browse Best-Matched Roommates Based on Specific Questions – you can browse the profiles of others who answered a roommate questionnaire question a certain way and are not currently part of a group
- Browse Best-Matched Roommates within Academic Major – you can browse best-matched roommates based on your specific major
- Search and Request a Specific Roommate – you can find a specific person by their UCSC UserID (abc123) or Web Name (42587)
View roommate profiles to see their academic college and personal bios to help you find compatible roommates. Roommate requests must be accepted prior to room selection in order to pull them in with you. Using the roommate search tool is optional. If you do not request/accept a roommate prior to room selection, another student will select or be placed in the other space(s) in your room.
The online housing application allows students to create groups of potential roommates. When you initiate a roommate request, a group is automatically created.
- The person who initiates the invitation becomes the group leader.
- Those who accept invitations become group members.
- A roommate group may consist of 2-4 members.
- You can only be part of one roommate group at a time.
When you invite others or have been invited to a roommate group, you will see a list of pending requests.
- “Pending Outgoing Requests” are those people you or a group member have invited to be part of your roommate group and are awaiting their decision to accept or decline.
- “Pending Incoming Requests” are invitations from others to be part of their group and are awaiting your decision to accept or decline.
- Those who accept invitations are displayed as group members.
- Those who decline will not become group members and will be removed from Pending Incoming/Outgoing Requests.
- Any group member can invite others or cancel pending requests.
Leaving a Roommate Group
- If you no longer want to be part of a group, you will need to first remove yourself from your current group.
- While a member of a group, you will not be able to be invited to other groups. To be added to a different group, first remove yourself from your current group.
- If you are the group leader, you will need to Pass Leadership to another member before leaving the group.
Placing Group Members during Room Selection
- Please note: A roommate group serves as a request to live together. It does not guarantee placement, as it is dependent on space availability at the time of room selection.
- Any group member can place other group members during room selection based on space availability.
- Roommate requests must be accepted prior to room selection and placed at the time of initial room selection. You will not be able to later add roommates if you have already selected a room without them.
- The group member with the earliest room selection time should place other group members for greatest availability.
- The person completing room selection should first place themselves and then assign as many group members as will fill the available space in the unit (i.e. up to two roommates in a fully available Raymond apartment). Discuss alternative plans with potential roommates prior to room selection in case your desired living community or space is not available at the time of your room selection.
UCSC Room Selection/Assignment
- Room selection is based on the dates you complete your housing application
- You will be notified of your designated room selection start time through UCSC email prior to your start time.
- At (or after) your designated time, you can log into the housing portal to select your room from any space available at that time.
- Honors College:
- once admitted to the Honors College, you will be provided a room selection time to choose your room in the Honors College (you must also have completed a housing application).
- if you select a room prior to being accepted into the Honors College, your initial room will be canceled and you will be provided a new room selection time to choose a room in the Honors College.
Redo Room Selection
If you want to change your room selection, you will have the option to redo the room selection on the application status page in the housing portal, which displays the current available space.
Housing Rent Confirmation Payment
- A $175 housing rent confirmation payment (HRCP) is required to hold your space on campus. This payment applies toward your first-semester rent.
- If you apply after the designated date, your HRCP will be due within seven (7) days of your application.
- The $175 HRCP will be refunded to your account if you cancel by May 15 (November 15 for spring only).
- The $175 HRCP is non-refundable if you cancel after May 15 (November 15 for spring only).