Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Turner & Townsend Recruitment 2022.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Quantity Surveyor
Main Purpose of the Role
- To perform the role of the Commission Manager, taking responsibility for end-to-end service delivery, often with respect to large or complex commissions.
- To act as the key, day-to-day client interface, ensuring that client objectives are met through the delivery of a value-added cost management service.
Quantity Surveyors handle commissions of varying sizes, depending upon the complexity of the project, etc. For example, a Senior Quantity Surveyor might be the Commission Manager for an R10M-R100M construction project or have responsibilities for packages on a much larger overall contract.
- Conducting feasibility studies and writing procurement reports
- Applying Value Management techniques at the outset of a project where appropriate or applicable, and where necessary involving Senior Management
- Managing and taking ownership of estimating and cost planning activities to include presenting the final cost plan including developing whole lifecycle cost models
- Managing and taking ownership of the procurement process, ensuring that all stages including pre-qualification, enquiry, Bills of Quantities, analysis, selection and contract preparation are performed effectively
- Ensuring that project cost variances and change control processes are effectively and pro-actively managed.
- Ensuring that cost management and valuation work is managed effectively
- Ensuring the preparation of monthly cost reports and presenting them to the client
- Value engineering, risk management and life cycle costing where applicable
- Ensuring that final accounts are negotiated and agreed timeously
- Taking a lead role in engaging with the client and other consultants, at all project stages
- Where appropriate, leading a cost management team, ensuring that they deliver on all of the above accountabilities
- Ensuring that QA/QC procedures are adhered to at all times
Marketing and Business Development, to include:
- Taking responsibility for developing new business opportunities with existing and new Turner & Townsend clients
- Identifying and acting upon cross-selling opportunities
- Working with Associate Directors and Directors to construct bids and proposals for new work
- Attending networking functions as required
- Identifying and acting upon opportunities to improve cost management procedures, templates and products and hence improve the service provided to clients
- Understanding the Turner & Townsend 2+2=5 philosophy and identifying and acting upon cross-divisional opportunities
Internal management accountabilities, to include:
- Staff management (where appropriate) – Inputting into the formal management of Quantity Surveyors on their team, to include 1st round recruitment interviews, input into resource management and attendance at staff appraisals
- Knowledge management – Ensuring that key information and learning generated from each commission is input into the Turner & Townsend internal database and Best Practice library
- Financial management – Utilising the Turner & Townsend FMS in order to keep track of the ongoing margin levels and monthly fee/resource forecasts for each commission
- Process improvement – Identifying and acting upon ways to improve internal systems and processes
- Training and Mentoring – Identifying and proposing training requirements for Quantity Surveyors in the cost management team and mentoring staff as required
Depending upon context, a Quantity Surveyor is likely to report to a Sector Leader, Associate Director or Director.
Key Performance Indicators
A Quantity Surveyor will in part be assessed by the extent to which:
- Commissions are managed to the right quality standards and are completed efficiently and on time
- Service delivery on commissions is in line with the conditions of appointment
- Strong relationships are developed with clients and cross-functional team members
- The cost management team is effectively led (where appropriate) within the context of delivering a specific commission
- General line management responsibilities (where appropriate) are effectively discharged
- Business development opportunities with existing and new clients, including cross- selling opportunities, are identified and acted upon
- Margin levels and monthly fee/resource forecasts are kept track of on all commissions
- Key information and data is effectively cascaded and appropriately retained
- Relevant tertiary qualification i.e., Bachelors Degree in Quantity Surveying or Quantity Surveying Diploma obtained from a recognized tertiary institution
- Must have a professional Quantity Surveyor qualification
- Minimum 5 years experience in a commercial/property environment / Infrastructure (preferable)
- Strong analytical ability with good communication skills
- Strong business development skills
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
Closing Date: 20th Jan. 2022.