The engineering field would continue to have much relevance in the labour market as long as there are innovations to improve human existence. Career opportunities abound both in the private and public sector of the economy for telecommunication engineering graduates.
If you have a natural flair for understanding how people can communicate with their mobile phones over a long distance or how systems are set up for effective communication then a career in Telecommunication engineering might be right for you.
As a Telecommunication engineer, you’ll need to oversee the work of all staff, set deadlines and delegate tasks to your team.
- 1 What is Telecommunication Engineering?
- 2 Industries Where a Telecommunication Engineer Can Work in Ghana
- 3 Responsibilities of a Telecommunication Engineer
- 4 Qualifications to Become a Telecommunication Engineer
- 5 Work Experience with Telecommunication Engineering Jobs
- 6 Skills to Include in Your CV for Telecommunication Engineering Jobs
- 7 Universities in Ghana Where You Can Study Telecommunication Engineering
What is Telecommunication Engineering?
Telecommunication engineering is a branch in engineering which applies knowledge from both electrical and computer engineering in the development and maintenance of communication systems.
As a telecommunication engineer, you would sometimes have to come up with appropriate strategies for designing and overseeing the installation of telecommunications equipment.
Because we rely a lot on our communication gadgets, telecommunication engineers always have to design and maintain both hardware and software systems used in transmitting the information.
Also, this industry deals with communication directly, your working hours might not follow a typical 9-5 job as more work would be required of you at times where issues arise.
Industries Where a Telecommunication Engineer Can Work in Ghana
As a telecommunication engineer, you can work in various positions across the telecommunications industry as a:
- Researcher and Consultant
- Network Designer
- Hardware and Electronic Designer
- Frequency Engineer
- Project Planner
- Computer Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Customer Care Representative
- Tv and Radio Broadcasting
Responsibilities of a Telecommunication Engineer
As a Telecommunication Engineer, you will need to:
- Be able to analyze and interpret information
- Good Interpersonal Communication skills
- Be goal-oriented and have a good eye for details.
- Have the necessary IT certifications required
- Be organised and able to multitask
- Ensure no breach in communication at all times
Qualifications to Become a Telecommunication Engineer
You can get into telecommunication engineering with a degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or an IT-related course.
Furthermore, studying towards a masters degree in project management will provide practical knowledge about the handling of commercial aspects of projects in telecommunication engineering.
As a new graduate in the field of telecommunication engineering, you might have to start from joining a relevant professional body to gain relevant experience that would enable you to function better as a telecommunication engineer later on.
Work Experience with Telecommunication Engineering Jobs
Look out for opportunities in supporting roles, such as IT-support staff, Network and Design positions. You should also consider undertaking professional qualifications to progress into management.
Extracurricular clubs and societies, including volunteering at organizations and events, can help to develop skills.
Joining a professional body as a student member can provide you with opportunities to network with other professionals, keep your skills up to date through training, events, news, and publications and point you towards job opportunities.
Skills to Include in Your CV for Telecommunication Engineering Jobs
Asides from analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills, you can also learn some other skills like:
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, to motivate and lead your team
- Ability to understand technical information
- Critical thinking
Universities in Ghana Where You Can Study Telecommunication Engineering
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- Ghana Technology University College
- Regent University College of Science and Technology
- University of Ghana