Lawyers can be reffered to as attorneys, advisors or associates depending on where they work and the type of law they practise. They majorly give legal advise and represent clients on legal matters ranging from family, health to corporate law.
Job Profile For Lawyers
The field of Law is one which has applications across all sectors and industries as such lawyers give legal advise and sometimes represent individuals, businesses and even the government on issues and business.
Depending on the cases facts and evidence, they could either act as advocates where they present evidence and argue in support of their client or as advisors where they counsel their clients about their legal rights and give possible suggestions with regards to their business or personal matter.
Lawyers also supervise the work of paralegals,legal assistants and secretaries who work in their law firms. Work hours for lawyers could be for 40 hours or more when there are pressing issues which require extensive research.
Different areas of specialization includes but is not limited to;
- Business Law
- Admirality Law
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Environmental Law
- First Amendment Law
- Health Care Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Patent Law
- Tax Law
- Family Law
- Securities Law
There are also attorneys who work for federal, state and local governments as prosecutors who file law suits against individuals or businesses who are accused of violating the law. They may also work as public defense attorneys to represent individuals who cannot afford to hire their own attorney.
Job Description For Lawyers
Your daily activities as a lawyers would involve;
- Advising and representing clients in courts, or government agencies regarding private matters
- Communicate with their clients, colleagues, judges, and others involved in the case
- Conduct research and analysis of legal problems
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals and businesses
- Present facts in writing and verbally to their clients or others, and argue on behalf of their clients
- Prepare and file legal documents, such as lawsuits, appeals, wills, contracts, and deeds
- Follow up with clients to ensure they carry out instructions given by the court
What Skill Should I Have To Work As A Lawyer?
Some of the relevant skills for a successful career as a lawyer includes;
- Organizational Skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Great attention to details
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Decision-making skills
- Good writing skills
- Research and analytical skills
Where Can I Work As A Lawyer?
Some of the organisations where you would work as a lawyer includes;
- United Nations
- Non-profit Organizations
- Within Federal, State or Local governments
- Media Organisations
- Manufacturing industries
- Audit/Consulting Firms
- Oil and Gas Industries
- Construction Companies e.t.c
What Steps Can I Take To Become A Lawyer?
Before you can be acknowledged as a lawyer in any country, region or state. You would have to finish a bachelor’s in law, attend law school in your country and finally pas the bar exams before you can be called to bar. This usually takes between 6-7 years to complete with extensive dedication to studying and research.
After getting a degree, you would normally start out as a junior associate at a firm while also improving yourself by either getting a graduate degree or attending courses organised by the bar in your region for possible advancement into senior roles at the firm. Also i would advise that in your undergraduate years, you can carry out internships during summer with different law firms to gain relevant experience.