In Africa and around the world, there seems to be an increase in the demand for individuals who have highly sought after skills in the technology space.
The wide acceptance of technology has lead to the emergence of professions such as UI/UX design, front-end development, backend development, data mining, full-stack development, digital marketing e.t.c which are highly sought after by individuals and different organisations.
Many times a lot of people confuse the role of backend or frontend developers with that of full-stack developers. Well, this is not so true because they have similar functions but operate differently. In this article, I would be explaining the roles and job outlook for full-stack developers.
Who Is A Full Stack Developer?
A Full stack developer is an engineer who has skills that can be used on either client or server-side software. They are called full-stack developers because they are involved in all stages of software development which could be either; Front End /Back End Development, Database, Server, API, and version Controlling Systems.
A full-stack developer usually has a working knowledge of HTML and CSS, while also having an in-depth knowledge of;
- Program a server (like using PHP, ASP, Python, or Node)
- Program a database (like using SQL, SQLite, or MongoDB).
Some companies prefer to hire full-stack developers over other developers because they can provide skills needed thereby reducing time and operational costs required to make a team of other developers run efficiently.
What Skill Do I Need To Become A Developer
It does not matter whether you are a beginner, intermediate or professional developer because the emphasis lies on what you can do and how well you can carry out your duties. Some of the skills you would require as a Full-stack developer includes;
- Know at least one server-side programming languages like Java, Python, Ruby, .Net etc.
- Have basic design skills and demonstrate fluency in the principle of basic prototype design and UI /UX design.
- Knowledge of web services or API
- Understanding of automated processes for building testing, document, and deploying it at scale
- Have an awareness for security concerns to detect security breach early enough
- Knowledge of Algorithms and Data structures
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work in a team
Responsibilities Of A Full Stack Developer
Regardless of where you work, your daily responsibilities as a full-stack developer would be:
- Translating user requirements into the overall architecture and new systems
- Managing Project and running through specific requirements with clients
- Writing backend or frontend codes in relevant languages
- Understanding, creating and debugging database related queries
- Create a test code to validate the application against client requirement.
- Monitor or evaluate the performance of web applications and resolving any problem encountered
Where Would I Work As A Full Stack Developer
Fullstack developers can work within various organizations across different sectors due to their versatility, they offer skills that are useful for startups, consulting firms, manufacturing, health and even have access to remote working opportunities despite what their geographical location might be.
How Do I Become A Full-Stack Developer
There are so many routes to becoming a full stack developer, the earliest route used to be having a degree in computer science but these days one can either enrol for online degrees in a university of their choice or use websites like audacity or Coursera for self-learning purposes.
Whichever route you decide to take, you should always make sure there is a portfolio showing what you have previously worked on because this shows team members and employers your level of expertise and technical skills.