Garden City University arrangement for the completion of the second semester of the 2019/2020 academic year.
Following the directives by the President of the Republic in his 10th Address to the Nation on Covid-19 Pandemic on 31st May, 2020 on the re-opening of educational institutions for Final Years, including Universities, the Academic Board at its meeting held on 8th June, 2020 resolved as follows:
- That the existing arrangements for the on-line teaching should continue
- Assignments and Project work would be used as assessment for the end of Second Semester Examinations. Schedule for Project work defense will be communicated to students very soon.
- Students will be assessed based on an average score of three (3) assignments per course, depending on the peculiarities of the course.
- Examination or assessment for courses with practical components will take place on campus; time-table for such courses will be communicated in due course
- The nature of certain courses will require examination (on campus) as a suitable mode of assessment; schedule for such courses will be published soon.
- The On-line teaching of Final Year students will end by 26th June, 2020
- The On-line assignment will commence on Monday, 29th June, 2020; and results should be submitted by Examiners no later than Monday, 13th July, 2020.
- Examination Officers should upload and process results for all Final Year students for consideration by the Departmental/Faculty Board by Friday, July 17, 2020.
- The Department of Physician Assistantship Studies is making the necessary arrangements for the Final Year clinical students to complete their clerkship at the Hospital. The outcome will be communicated to students very soon.
- Final Year students with previous trailed courses should be given assignment in lieu of re-sit exams (supplementary exams). Students with trailed courses should therefore contact their respective Exams Officers and register for the trailed courses no later than Monday, June 22, 2020.
- Lecturers are requested to upload all assignments on the Official University College On-line platform for access by students; and students must also submit the completed assignment through same On-line Learning platform.
- Final Year students who fail to take part in the On-line assignment will not be eligible to graduate.
- Students who are found duplicating (copying) the work of others and presenting it as their own (plagiarism) will have their assignments cancelled and awarded grade ‘F’ as stipulated in the Students’ Handbook.
- To ensure standardization of questions, Lecturers are to submit to Heads of Department questions for vetting before administering the assignment.
Payment of Fees and Registration
- Students who are owing fees should settle ALL Outstanding Fees and register no later than Monday, June 22, 2020.
- Students who fail to pay their fees within the stipulated period will not be eligible to access the On-line Learning platform and submit assignment through same.
Final Year Diploma Students
- Final Year Diploma students will continue with lectures On-line and end by Friday, July 10, 2020. The mode of assessment will be determined in due course.
- All Continuing Students will continue their lectures On-line and end by Friday, July 10, 2020
- Practical components of all courses will be deferred to next academic year.
- All Assignments should be completed and results submitted by Friday, July 31, 2020
- The Parallel School will start On-line on Friday, July 17, 2020 and ends on Friday, August 28, 2020. The mode of Assessment will be determined subsequently.
- Heads of Department should allocate courses for the Parallel programme as soon as possible.
Lecturers and Class Reps may contact the IT Unit on 0262131969/0260981372 for all technical assistance in connection with uploading questions and submission of completed assignments through the University College Official On-line Learning platform. The Academic Affairs Unit may also be contacted on 0243108954 to address all potential challenges students may encounter.
We are counting on the cooperation of Lecturers and students to successfully complete the Second Semester. Thank you.