The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Fellowships are distributed equally among the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Eligibility
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply with the stipulations sstated in the Program (Link below)
- Applicants to the 2020/2021 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree stated in the Programme (Link below)
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position
Selection Criteria: The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between the following:
- applicant – individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career
- host institution – commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
Fields of Research:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
Number of Awards
70 fellowships are awarded annually
Value of Program: $70,000 per year (taxable)
Duration of Program: 2 years (non-renewable)
How to Apply for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
It is important to go through the Application Guide before applying for this Fellowship.
For more information, visit the Government of Canada Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Application Deadline: 15th October, 2020 by 8:00 p.m. (EDT)