The University of Ghana, UG Legon grading system has been set to rank the students graduating from the university in this academic year. This system sets students into the different class of degree ranging from first class, second class (upper and lower division) or pass.
In this guide, we are going to show you the University of Ghana, UG Legon grading system and how to calculate your Final Grade Point Average (FGPA) and know your class of degree.
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA GRADING SYSTEM
The University uses letter grades and numerical weightings corresponding to the letter grades. The numerical weightings reflect the quality of performance. Total numerical weightings reflect the quality of performance.
Student performance in a course shall be graded as follows:
|80 – 100||A||4.0||Outstanding|
|75 – 79||B+||3.5||Very Good|
|70 – 74||B||3.0||Good|
|65 – 69||C+||2.5||Fairly Good|
|60 – 64||C||2.0||Average|
|55 -59||D+||1.5||Below Average|
|50 – 54||D||1.0||Marginal Pass|
Note: *Although this is a failure grade, it may still be accepted as fulfilling the prerequisite for other courses.
Grade Interpretation Grade Point
X Fail 0
Z Disqualification 0
I Incomplete 0
Y Continuing 0
How to Calculate UG Legon FGPA
This is a step-by-step guide on how to calculate your Final Grade Point Average (FGPA).
CALCULATION OF FGPA
Terminologies in the Official Transcript from UG
- CCT– Cumulative Credits Taken
- CCP– Cumulative Credits Passed
- GPA– Grade Point Average
- FGPA– Final Grade Point Average
- GPT– Grade Point
- This is the sum of all credit hours in courses taken
- It is usually based on course codes and not course titles
- It is calculated once.
- This is the sum of all credit hours of passed courses
- Passed grades do not include grades E and F
- Grades A to D are calculated here
HOW TO CALCULATE GPA FOR UNIVERSITY OF GHANA
- GPAs are semester specific
- GPA= Total GPT/Total Credit
• Total Credits= 15
• GPA= 49.5/15
CALCULATION OF CGPA
This is for the total semesters a student has taken examinations in the university
• All levels carry equal weight
• CGPA= Total GPTs of all courses taken/ Total Number of Credits of all courses taken
• Assuming you’ve taken an examination in Level 400 second semester, the GPTs and Credits will be calculated from L100 first and second semesters, L200 first and second semesters, L300 first and second semesters and L400 first and second semesters.
HOW TO CALCULATE FGPA FOR UNIVERSITY OF GHANA
GPAs for the various levels are recalculated
• All courses are calculated under their correct levels
• Every re-sit course is calculated the number of times it is taken. Assuming a student wrote UGRC120 in Level 100 and got a grade F, wrote again in level 200 and got an E and wrote finally in Level 300 and got an A the course will appear three times with its respective credits and GPTs.
A weighting of 1:1:2:2 is then assigned to all the levels. This means that L100 is 1, L200 is 1, L300 is 2 and L400 is 2
• Assuming after the recalculation we get GPAs for the various levels as follows:
Our FGPA will be calculated as below:
3.20× 1/6= 0.53
3.60 × 1/6= 0.60
2.90 × 2/6= 0.96
3.00 × 2/6= 1.00
FGPA= 0.53 + 0.60 + 0.96 + 1.00
Class: Second Class (Honours) Upper Division
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA DEGREE CLASSIFICATION
- First Class – 3.60 – 4.00
- Second Class (Upper Division) – 3.00 – 3.59
- Second Class (Lower Division) – 2.00 – 2.99
- Third Class – 1.50 – 1.99
- Pass -1.00 – 1.49
- Fail (No award) – 0.00 – 0.99