In this guide, we’ll be looking at the list of universities offering nutrition and dietetics in Ghana. We’ll also look at career opportunities for nutrition and dietetics graduates in Ghana as well as the requirements of becoming a registered dietician in Ghana.
Nutrition and dietetics is one of the core disciplines in biological sciences. Dieticians are professional trained in the field of nutrition to advise others about healthy eating. Eating well helps to sustain life and this is where the expertise of a nutritionist is needed the most.
In Ghana, nutritionist or dietitians study at the university for at least four years. After graduation you can proceed to become a registered dietician, howbeit after taking the professional accountancy exams.
Who is a Nutritionist?
A nutritionist is a professional in the field of food and nutrition. They advise people on what to eat in order to lead a healthy lifestyle or achieve a specific health-related goal. They work in many settings, including hospitals, cafeterias, nursing homes, and schools. Some are self-employed with their own practice.
What Does a Nutritionist Do?
The duties of a nutritionist vary considerably depending on the specific individual that they’re working with. For instance, a dietician or nutritionist might guide a patient with high blood pressure on how to use less salt when preparing a meal.
Others, on the other hand, might plan a diet with reduced processed foods and sugars to help overweight people lose weight. However below are the typical duties of a nutritionist.
- Explain nutrition and what it can do for the client
- Assess clients’ health needs and diet
- Develop meal plans, taking both cost and clients’ preferences into account
- Evaluate the effects of meal plans and change the plans as needed
- Promote better nutrition by giving talks to groups about diet, nutrition, and the relationship between good eating habits and preventing or managing specific diseases
- Keep up with the latest nutritional science research
What Can I Do With a Nutrition Degree?
A degree in food, nutrition and dietetics can lead to a range of fulfilling and exciting roles. These could include:
- Food developer
- Food technologist
- Health and wellness coordinator
- Health promotion specialist
Requirements to Study Nutrition and Dietetics in Ghana
There some requirements that you must meet before being offered admission to study nutrition and dietetics in a Ghanaian university.
For a BSc degree in nutrition and dietetics, applicants must have a strong science background. Applicants are also expected to have at least a credit in the following subjects Chemistry, Biology, Core Mathematics, Physics and English Language.
For MSc degree in nutrition and dietetics, applicants must obtain a bachelor’s degree in nutrition and dietetics or a related discipline. Some universities may require applicants to have at least a second class lower division at BSc level.
Universities Offering Nutrition and Dietetics in Ghana
Below is the list of accredited universities offering nutrition and dietetics in Ghana.
- University of Ghana
- University of Health and Allied Health Sciences
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi.
- University of Cape Coast.
- University for Development Studies (Nutritional Sciences)
If you feel we’ve left out any school, please let us know in the comment section of this article.