The United States of America is an economically stable country, and people from different race troop into the country in search of a greener pasture. Most Ghanaians who travel to the US on a tourist or even a study visa cannot find a workplace. If you want to know how to get a job in the USA from Ghana, then you need to read this post.
- 1 Requirements for Getting a Job in the US From Ghana
- 2 Tips on How to Get a Job in the USA from Ghana
- 3 How Can I get a Job in the United States from Ghana
- 4 Who Can Work in the United States
- 5 Final Thought on How to Get a Job in the US from Ghana
Requirements for Getting a Job in the US From Ghana
In order for one to be able to secure a career in the United States from Ghana, these three basic things will be of a great assistance;
- The level of your experience in your line of the field or area
- A valid visa document and a passport
- How well your resume is constructed and
- The level of your educational attainment
Tips on How to Get a Job in the USA from Ghana
Searching for and getting a job in the United States of America could be a tedious task. Below are the basic five steps to follow in order to have a successful online job search.
- Write out the specifications you desired to get from the United States careers openings.
- Write out the state of United States you desired to be working in.
- The nature of the career that you are looking out for.
- Checkmate the period of time you wish to work for out there in the United States.
- Decide whether you wish to alter the present field/line of your current career or just wish to stay put in your recent field.
How Can I get a Job in the United States from Ghana
If you want to get a job in the US from Ghana, then you need to compose a competent CV. Your CV should highlight your place of education, your skills and competencies. You could boost your chances by preparing a motivation letter. You could begin your search for jobs on websites or forums. If a company is recruiting, and you are lucky to be contacted, then;
- You will be invited by the company for an interview if you are already in America.
- If you are not in the US, the company will contact you via the internet, ask some questions and then send out an invitation to obtain a work visa.
If you cannot find a place of work yourself, then you can contact some specialized agency for help. However, you need to tread carefully. It is prohibited to work for citizens who arrived in the country illegally or on a guest visa.
Who Can Work in the United States
The following category of persons can work in the United States.
- Temporary employees. These are foreign citizens who apply to the US Consulate for entry into the country to work and obtaining a work visa. A specific employer is chosen often. Temporary workers can reside in the United States for a fixed period of time. They are only allowed to carry out activities for which a permit was issued.
- Permanent employees. This category of citizens refers to individuals who have the right to permanent residence in the United States. They would get any work, without requiring special permits.
- Students who have a valid visa to study in the US. However, they will need to obtain the appropriate work permit from an authorized person at their university, school or college. It will be issued if the study is not pushed to the background because of the work activity. In the US, many students combine these activities.
- Persons whose spouses are from America. The right to get a job is owned by the bride or fiance of an American who has a K1 visa. It is enough to get a social card for this, which will operate for 90 days. At the end of this period, the couple must enter into a legal marriage, and a foreign citizen must apply for a Green Card.
Work as a Programmer in the USA
The US is very popular with IT professionals due to the demand for the profession and a large number of leading companies, whose businesses are dependent on information technology: Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, etc. Of course, getting into such a corporation is very difficult, and this is due to the huge competition and high demands put forward for applicants. But the level of salaries are:
- Developers at Apple receive an average of $120,000 a year.
- Intel employees receive about $100,000 a year.
- Google programmers receive a maximum of $126,000 per annum.
The programmers working in smaller and well-known companies have slightly lower salary:
- An experienced Java/J2EE developer in California earns 40-70 dollars per hour.
- Senior IOS Developer’s rate in a major city, for example, San Francisco, reaches $90 per hour.
- PHP-developer with experience of 7 years and knowledge of common frameworks and technologies can count on $100,000 per annum.
Of course, to work as a programmer, it is necessary to have good English, to have the required level of essential skills and experience. It is better to search for an IT specialist through the Internet and to come at the employer’s invitation, having previously agreed with to a work visa.
Work as a Doctor in the US
Doctors in America earn very well. The most popular in the US are anaesthetists, surgeons, therapists, dentists, gynaecologists, and psychiatrists. The level of salaries of these specialists averages $170,000 – 200,000 a year.
However, graduates of Ghana medical universities will not be able to get a job in the USA unless they have a license. You must undergo the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and pass.
Work as a Babysitter in the USA
In the US, a month of work as a babysitter can get from $1,500. Payment is by the hour. Additional pocket money is given for the expenses for the child. The advantage of this work is that the family often provides a nanny with accommodation and meals – this is very important for a labor immigrant visiting the country for the first time.
The duties of a nanny include:
- classes, walks, games with children;
- nutrition and caring for children;
- cooking and cleaning the house.
Work in the USA without knowledge of the language
Most job openings in the United States require the highest level of English proficiency. In some cases, the American employer requires a certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS. For some professions, there are also some exams for example, for doctors, it is USMLE, for lawyers it is ILEC, and for those working in the field of accounting and finance, it is ICFE.
However, Ghanaians who speak only their native language can be placed in positions such as:
- Cleaner. In the United States, there are a lot of cleaning agencies, which continuously recruit employees. It is not the easiest work, because you will have to work physically, including with household chemicals. Payment by the hour is from 10 to 20 dollars. It is the easiest way to get a job on the Internet.
- Dishwasher. The work can be found in a restaurant or cafe. The fee is in the range of 7-12 dollars per hour. This is one of the most popular works of labor immigrants.
- Courier. You can get a job at this position without even having a car. You should know only a few English phrases such as greetings, answers to simple questions, etc. A demanded and uncomplicated one can be called the work of a food delivery man.
- An agricultural worker. This work, as a rule, is seasonal: basically, harvesters of berries and fruit. The rate is not high – about 7-15 dollars per hour. English will be needed only to apply employment.
Even at such seemingly unskilled jobs in the US, you can earn from $ 1500-2000 per month, which is quite enough for a modest but quite comfortable living in, for example, Arizona or Minnesota.
Final Thought on How to Get a Job in the US from Ghana
In conclusion, getting a job offer to start work in the United States is not an easy task considering some factors such as the years of experiences, how advanced one is in the area of technological advancements, problems associated with visas etc. In as much as they are many benefits why you should work in the US, it is still advisable that you have all the necessary qualifications needed before thinking of working in the United States of America.