Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Catholic Relief Services Recruitment 2021.
In 1943, the Roman Catholic Bishops of the United States established Catholic Relief Services to help war-torn Europe and its refugees recover. During World War II, CRS’s work focused on the resettlement of war refugees in Europe. Today, more than 75 years later, our mission continues to focus on the poor overseas, using the gospel of Jesus Christ as our mandate. We continually seek to help those most in need, providing assistance on the basis of need, without regard to race, creed or nationality.
Job Title: Agricultural Market Systems Development Manager (PMII)
CRS is seeking an Agricultural Market Systems Development Manager to serve as the technical lead for activities anticipated under the five-year USAID Ghana Market Systems and Resilience (MSR) Activity in Ghana.
The Manager will provide technical oversight of the development and implementation all CRS activities under Objective 1: Increase commercialization and profitability of agriculture markets. The Market Systems and Resilience (MSR) Activity will facilitate the development of a competitive market space in northern Ghana that is inclusive, resilient, and sustainable in the provision of goods and services demanded by actors.
The approach for this activity will help identify and minimize the root causes of market failure for barriers that disadvantage the vulnerable, women and youth and exclude them from economic opportunities. This activity will also create incentives for actors to invest in developing and sustaining productive relationships for the efficient delivery of goods and services and an improved enabling and regulatory environment for agricultural sector growth.
This position will report to the Deputy Chief of Party and will be based in Tamale, Ghana, with frequent travel across Northern, Upper East, and Upper West regions of Northern Ghana. The Agricultural Market Systems Development Manager will use their management skills and knowledge to ensure the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its agriculture programming.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight throughout the project cycle to ensure project design, start-up, implementation, and close-out are in line with CRS quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices.
- Effectively manage talent for the MS&R Project and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Support community identification and entry activities, including establishing relationships with key community leaders and stakeholders using the Participatory Learning and Action (PLA) approach.
- Lead community mapping activities, including community-based agribusiness dealer mapping and financial services provider mapping.
- Leads activities to promote improved use of production and post-harvest handling practices and services by smallholder farmers by linking them to agro-dealers and service providers to provide sensitization training, workshops, and demonstrations.
- Leads activities to increase adoption of fundamental and commercial business practices by smallholder farmers in areas like financial literacy, record keeping, and use of market information.
- Lead activities to support commercialization and access to finance for smallholder farmers through promotion of VSLAs and SILCs, access to mobile money, and financial literacy training.
- Support the creation and strengthening of inclusive and service-oriented smallholder farmer groups which provide improved services to their members.
- Ensure timely and appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources.
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Economics, Business, Agricultural or Rural Development or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 9 years experience in relevant field-based project management experience, such as work in economic growth, value chain development, or agricultural development programs is required.
- Experience with staple crops, such as maize, soybean, groundnut, and cowpea, and high-value export-oriented crops, such as horticulture, shea, and other tree crops a plus.
- Knowledge of the market facilitation approach (M4P) is required.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with international development contracting policies and procedures, specifically USAID. Experience working with grantees preferred.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.
Applicants should submit their CV and letter of interest by 5 pm, on May 9, 2021.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
**Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’s processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
CRS’s emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible.