Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Aquaya Recruitment 2023/2024.
Aquaya is a nonprofit research and consulting organization dedicated to advancing global health through universal access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH).
we are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Program Manager
The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in low-resource settings. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to over 40 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other reports and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Accra, Ghana, and Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, France, Uganda, Ghana, and Ethiopia. Many of our projects are carried out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
About the position
We are recruiting a Research/Program Manager for a full-time position. This position will be based in Accra, Ghana, and will require extensive domestic travel within Ghana. The Manager will be responsible for managing project activities, including, but not limited to:
- Develop research protocols and data collection tools
- Develop and monitor timelines for completing project milestones
- Develop and monitor budgets
- Coordinate fieldwork logistics and data collection
- Manage the ethical approval process and ensure that ethical principles are respected
- Delegate tasks to other employees, as needed
- Manage quantitative and qualitative datasets
- Ensure data quality
- Perform quantitative data analyses
- Maintain clear communication with any hired consultants or partner organizations
- Lead meetings with key collaborators (e.g., consultants, clients/funders, local stakeholders, etc)
- Lead the preparation of reports and presentations
- Lead the preparation of project presentations, reports, briefs, and publications
- Present program results at conferences and workshops
Criteria for the position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- Demonstrated experience in managing research programs, related to water or sanitation.
- Master’s degree – preferably in engineering, science, environmental science, or related field.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience OR PhD in a related field.
- Commitment to living in Ghana on a full-time basis is required.
- Ability to travel to field sites approximately 25% of the time (this is an estimated average and is subject to fluctuate).
- Previous international work experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ability to conduct quantitative data analysis in Excel, R, or Stata.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Fluency in English.
We are also looking for the following skills and attributes:
- Good problem-solving and time-management skills.
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to delivery.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement (e.g., government, water providers, bilateral donors, etc.)
- Outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail and an ability to establish systems to manage constant flows of information and deliver on deadlines.
- Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position, with an initial 3-month probationary period. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical insurance and enrollment in a pension plan.
Please submit your resume via e-mail to [email protected] along with a thoughtful cover letter. There will be an additional screening survey and activity once your resume is received. This position will be open until filled.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Ghana Research/Program Manager 2023”. No phone calls, please.
Details of the Program
URBAN WASH: Improving Water Quality Management, Water Equity, and Non-Revenue Water in Ghana
Rapid urbanization is straining Ghana’s water supply systems. This study of two urban water systems in Kumasi and Tamale will assess three core challenges faced by Ghana Water Company Limited (GWCL): water quality, equity, and non-revenue water. This study will undertake new data collection, including household water sampling, interviews with staff and community members, and organizational capacity rating, as well as a review of existing literature and historic GWCL data. Findings will be used to identify opportunities and design pilot interventions to improve urban water service delivery.
Research questions will address the three main challenges faced by GWCL:
- Are GWCL’s water quality monitoring and management processes optimized? The research will investigate existing distribution system monitoring, water safety planning, contamination risks, and measures to address risks. It will also compare GWCL water quality to other water sources and identify the most cost-effective future management approaches.
- Do connection fee and tariff structures support inclusive water access? The research will examine the ability to pay for water among the poor and vulnerable, options for connection and tariff subsidy arrangements, and GWCL’s financial sustainability under different scenarios.
- How can GWCL minimize non-revenue water (NRW) or water losses? The research will first confirm whether NRW can be reliably defined, measured, or estimated to characterize sources and drivers. It will then assess to what extent preventive measures (such as theft detection, account collection, and prepaid meters) have been effective and what factors could support further improvements.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply
Application Deadline: 18tth July 2023